1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need blue coyote eyes.Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Justin, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Guy caught a blue eyed yote and wants it mounted with blue eyes.I know tohickon will probably make them but
    I was wondering if any suppliers have them.Even thought about using JKunuths method of making fisheyes and try to make my own.Buit would be alot easier to just buy them!
    Suggestions?

2. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

blue eyes? might be a coydog with a bit of husky in him...NEAT!
    not sure about where to find the eyes...sorry

3. call vandykes

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Must be the one from trapperman... it's a DOG or a feral dog anyways. People have dogs mounted, I'm sure there's a set of husky eyes out there somewhere. ??

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Sorry you guys and gals but...No its not! Its a plain old everyday coyote. I think some of you might forget what color eyes many mammals have when born! Some youngins dont turn as soon as others, sometimes they just dont ever. Ive seen what looks like a medium sized coyote...with baby blues. Most likely a decent size young of the year, which up here would be about 30-35 lbs. Id still check with Tohickon and see what they can match up for you.

6. Wolfwoman

Bill, did you see the pic of this one? (might not be the same one..) white face like a husky or malamute, and the feet even look larger than a normal yote... he just looks wrong...lol

7. Bill Yox

WW, no, theres no pic linked to this post, you saw a pic I didnt. Im not much of a coydog fan up here anyway, few and far between. But, blue eyes definitely do not suggest this, as so many juvenile mammals have em. Deer and mt lions, fox, all come to mind. I know you know enough about canines that if you saw a pic, you might suggest a hybrid. ;)

8. Wolfwoman

Actually to me this pic doesn't even look like a coydog, it looks like a DOG. Granted, might be feral, but just the look of it says dog to me. I dunno much about coyotes (cept they make nice hats) let me see if I can get the pic and bring it over here and you guys can see what you think.

9. Wolfwoman

I cropped and enlarged it, but here he is.

[​IMG]

10. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

The hair on the face makes me believe it is a hybrid.

Cool catch too!

11. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

the facial markings are without at doubt husky. The red color could have even been husky. Ive had a rusky red husky before, and with age it turned light.
    still looks like some coyote in it....Ill stick with husky/yote mix

but Bill, your right! I forgot about the young having blue eyes, but I didnt know how long they eye color lasted.

12. Bill Yox

Sorry folks, but Im sticking to what I said, especially after seeing that pic. Thats what all our coyotes look like, cheek patch, eye line, its just a coyote. Ive seen em with blue eyes before. Its not a mix. I hope I dont sound like a know-it-all, thats my biggest regret.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I'm with Bill. I don't know much about coyote eye coloring, and why they would be blue, but all I see is a yote, and not a mix.

14. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

Haha no Bill, you dont sound like a know it all...just having a discussion.
    I dont think its 100% dog....but you really dont think there could be some mix in it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Bill Yox

I have seen that breed of dog many times. To me its a domestic dog, no more. Theres so many dogs, working dog types, like you see up north, I dont even recall all the names. My friend had one similar to that. Just plain old canis familiaris, lol. I dont know all the dog breeds, but I do know that trapped animal looks just like any other coyote I so often see. I have pics of a trapped coyote with blue eyes, but as usual, my scanner isnt up and going, so...no pics, lol.

Heres another thing that makes me very cautious when comparing animals. Almost all canines have similar marking/patterns. Eye circles, cheek patterns, back of the ear color that doesnt match the rest of the body color, a dominant hackle line and also dorsal line, wrist ankle and foreleg patterns, toe spots, multi colored body hiars and grizzled back and rump, and dorsal line on the tail, and tail tips. If you drew it or printed it in black and white, one could "color" them to look like many other animals. What Im saying is, these patterns exist on them all, not making any of them any more or less "dog".

16. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

You have a good point.
    Ive never seen a yote with marking like that and blue eyes, and I dont doubt at all that it could be just another yote.
    one of the first classes I ever took in veterinary technology was SAM I...we had to learn to identify over 100 different breeds of domestic dogs. Many of them are hard to tell apart, like you said, they alot of times share similar hair patterns. So you need to look beyond that into bone/skull structure, and even then you get some mutations that are unfamiliar to the breed standard. Now when we get dogs from the shelters we have to try and guess what the mixed breeds have in them...but thats just it, its only an educated guess...not 100% fact.
    The yote in the picture does have all the shapes and characteristics of a yote (body wise)..other than maybe its a bit thicker than ones ive seen. even in the legs.
    Than again, its not a great picture..and whose to say its not just a chubby yote? :)

17. Wolfwoman, That is the coyote that I have. The pic is from the guy that caught it.Very white face and Blue eyes but this (IMO)
    Is 100% coyote.It's just a pretty one.So tohickon is about it?

The coyote weighs 30-35 lbs.Should make an interesting mount!

18. Wolfwoman

So he did come from trapperman ;D No doubt it's a gorgeous canine, we wanna SEE when you're done!!

I have a question for you, what is his measurement from nose to butt? Gonna do a little experiment ;)

19. Tip of nose to base of tail is 38"and girth is 24".

20. Wolfwoman

Ok I just went and measured one of my dogs that is about 65lbs. He's about 44" nose to butt and 28" girth. He's a VERY slender dog with a lightweight build. I've always wondered why yotes were SO lightweight as compared to a similar body style dog??