1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for advice on creating a scabbed wound.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Chops, Feb 17, 2009.

1. A customer brought in a deer with bad battle wound across the bucks face and asked for it to be mounted this way. Does anyone have an idea of a good way to go about creating or has done a realistic scabbed up wound? Picture if you have'em. Thanks Chops

2. Dean

Dean New Member

It's done all the time with African animals. I can't see what you're dealing with so I can only explain the way I do it. It's better to go with it and make a convincing looking scab and scar than to try to make a repair that you can't hide perfectly. I use epoxy sculpt and add some color to fit what you need to do.Then sculpt it and build it up the way you want it to look.Texture it to what you want. Then slowly blend the colors. I hand paint it with oils beause you get a nicer blend and get little details in it. You've see scabs before. Try to duplicate one. Did you take a picture of the wound for reference so you can duplicate what you have? It can be done to look like it's from a fresh crusty cut with a little blood showing in the center of the cut to a healed up hard crusty brown scab. That leaves you with a broad selection of possibilities.

3. The deer was brought to me caped out already. Thanks for your advise, your answer helped I wasn't sure whether to paint by hand or airbrush. I'll try and google some wound pic's. Thanks Dean