1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Have you regular fish gurus ran your numbers lately?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by hampshire, Feb 18, 2009.

1. This is kind of a double post because I also put this in the Industry section because I think it applies. I just ran my numbers on a commercial fish reproduction because Ithought I might be a little high compared to others in Texas. Dang I list at $17 and after I ran my numbers I should be at $26. Being a business person I feel compelled/forced to raise to that price hell the numbers don't lie. I know what I need to make for what I want. In doing that I will be twice to twice and a half higher than 80% in Texas not that I care. Just curious if some have really ran their numbers or do you/we get complacent in our markets and sometimes just raise by percentage across the board?

2. If you feel you should be charging $26 then charge $26. With this economy It would be a great time to raise your prices by $9.00 per inch. You'll find out very quickly if you're going to sink or swim.

If this sounds like solid business practice to you, the decision should be yours to make. What others charge should be of no bearing if your work is worth what wish to charge.

Please stop back in one year and let us all know how you fared.....OK?

I believe there WERE some others on here that promoted this price range but many found it to be not so viable (for full time work anyway) and either have or are moving on to other endeavors.
    Also, if your not making a sole living off of taxidermy, what's stopping you from charging a mere $9.00 an inch more........you really wouldn't be relying on the income anyway so.....why not experiment with your pricing structure? At least you'd find out if your work is worth it.

3. I agree Mark I could care a less what others charge my point was has anybody ran actual numbers latley to see where they are. I fear sometime we get complacent in our pricing increases I just rannumbers today because I priced a fish on my current structure and for some reason realized I'm not making squat at that. I'm not trying to make anybody raise or lower just asking a business question.

4. This is where I am happy my shop is small and in house.
    Overhead costs are so low, also in having my own molds it allows me to make more for me.

Dont worry about what others charge, just figure out what your hourly rate needs to be.

Who knows if this economy will effect us or not.
    I thought I would be alot slower but I am way up in orders from this time last year.

5. I should not have included the part about the market. Those who know me know I dont care what others due. I really wanted this to ba an eye opener for those that havent looked lately.

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Must be why I burn wood for heat, have a garden and a small flock of chickens. When I gather my eggs they do not go in one basket either.

PB

7. I am an Airline pilot for a living, if I had to make a living from taxidermy I would be living in a shack. This is a luxury business not a necessity unfortunately!
    If I had to do it all over again I would be a plumber......no one asks how much when their pipes burst!
    Paul
    "Nice Rack" Taxidermy

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I don't understand what takes so long that you need to charge $26??? I'm only at $15/inch with replicas and I still make more money on them than skin mounts. I buy them with very minimal finish work or ready to paint. On a good sized musky, I'm making a substantial profit with a total of 5-6 hours into the paint job, glossing and bracket or driftwood - everything, out-the door. I think I need to raise my skin mount prices though...

9. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

WHEW! Is it just me or is it getting warm in here? ;) Hey PB. Is that chicken house broken? ;D

10. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Doug do you really want to see the back of the shirt? lol

11. You get clients at $26 an inch??? Good gravy...a pay around $12 an inch man...do the fish come with an LCD flatscreen also?...sorry, I just can't fathom paying thousands for a mount.

12. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I had this conversation with another taxidermist not long ago.

Why do I need to make $50,000 a year doing one thing(taxidermy).

Why can't I do 5 things that make $10,000 each(taxidermy, art, teaching, music etc).

13. Paul....that is TOO damn funny man and I agree with you on your business sense Jim. I got offered a deal on a nice plow last fall..BIG mistake not to have bought it and made a killing this year. Diversification also keeps interest levels high and it will show in your work.
    Jeff said..if you can't make $200 a day you may as well hit the road... to add to that, I say,if you can't ATTRACT $200 a day in work you also may as well pack your bags.
    Marty makes a good point. When I think of how fast a replica can be painted I wish ALL my work was reproduction. But to think only along these lines would be foolish business because, as I have made clear note of in past posts.....reproductions will mean much lost work for the taxidermist in the long run...no wait....they already have..LOL! I'll take a BIG hit for saying this but..I do not think they are the best thing since sliced bread for this industry as so many other do. Quite the opposite.
    Fish in freezer....big reminder!
    Fish in picture..on computer or hard copy in drawer.....not so much so!
    It also leaves that door open for indecision......"I might get a bigger one next time"..... not if it's in the deep freeze call'n' yer name.

14. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I agree with Marty here. I make what I feel is good money doing replicas at $15.00 and skin mounts at $12.00 per inch. I would love to make $26.00 per inch but I just do not see it happening for me. Maybe in the future.

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I agree Marc with your assessment of the industry and marketplace. I also recommend DUCKING now - lol!

16. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Keep it going boys! The cold wind is blowing here in MI and we can use some more hot air! ;D Where's that guy who suggested we charge $46.00/inch? :D I agree with and practice diversification. Retirement pension + social security + doing some fish = a happy old codger. ;) Paul, I'll pass on looking at the back of your shirt. However, the posterior of your chicken is right next to your anterior so if she stands up and turns around we might all get an answer to my question. :eek: ;D

17. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Her you go, answer your question? LOL

18. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I'm impressed. What breed of chicken is that? I've raised all kinds of chickens for meat and eggs but never saw one that color. Banty? Hybrid? Now back to fish. I'm going start a new post about a couple of fins I need..pelvics for a huge largemouth. Got any? And I need them before the show. :-[

19. Im not going to charge $26. But on paper thats what I should charge to keep my current philosophy. I dont do taxidermy as a full time living I do other things as many know, however I will make as much at as I can lol. I told my wife when I figured it that I would tell some one to stick the fish up their arss if they tried to charge me $26. It just made me scratch my head is all. I only put overhead on materials, I charge $30 an hour and try to get 25-30% overall profit. Marty I had about 6 total hours in the price that included checkin to out the door.

20. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Marc hit it on the head with his assessment of repros vs skin mounts. People really seem to be sitting on the repros orders right now( just thinking ::)), but the skin mounts are still coming in. Repros are great, but so are skin mounts, and I tend to like skin mounts. I can make more money on skin mounts over repros, but thats just our shop.

I believe that $46 per in. guy was RDA...Ron's a good guy and right about charging as much as possible for your work, I think we all just disagree on whats possible and realistic.

Earlier this year, we raised our retail reproduction price to $20.00 per in. That effectively took our work out of the Midwest market, and out of the hands of a large group of consumers. We raised our price for a variety of reasons. We diversivied into other areas of taxidermy last year, and it allowed us to raise the price on an item we were not happy with the profits on. If we were going to make a living doing just replicas, the price would have to come down to get more volume.

That being said, if you are going to charge $20.00 + per in for a repro, be prepared to market nation wide, and deal with smaller volumes of work locally( in most cases).....and make sure you have other irons in the fire to pay bills.