1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Have you regular fish gurus ran your numbers lately?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by hampshire, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Ive been sayin it, aint I been sayin it. Ten damn years Ive been sayin it!.
    lol sorry movie quote

I agree though if you charge a higher rate be prepared to go global, because locals wont want to pay that.
    They think you are their neighbor and want to get it for cheep.
    And if you dont give them a deal the assume you are all snooty and too big for them.

I bet even Beethoven's neighbors all wanted to get in to his concerts for free too!!!!

You know if you guys only use one eye you could save a little green!!
    ;D

2. True but not on a 360 degree ped

3. LOL

I had no choice ;D

sorry I am a tad obnoxious today, Its one of those days and I feel a bit punchy. HAHAHA

This is a good topic though Darrell.
    Like I said I am really lucky I am a fish and reptile only guy. It allows me to work out of a small studio in my house and the overhead is very low.
    Plus I am still in my college student ways of hunting down deals for supplies.
    That saves me a TON every year.
    Having my own bank of molds and having all of my tools and basic set up ready to go prior to opening shop for taxidermy was a massive benefit.

If I was paying for new tools, and a separate shop I would be in the stinker fast. but I am fairly new to the full time game as far as taxidermy goes. (3 years) but before that I did freelance artwork so I think I understand well enough what I need to do to make it work out.
    Each year has been much better then the year before, and this year is starting out with a BANG, Im not sure why.
    I think people are getting work done while they can afford it thinking it will be horrible by the end of the year.
    Who knows we may all be able to survive this hiccup in the economy.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

All I care about right now is WRESTLING! My middle boy is currently ranked 3rd in the State and he knocked off the top ranked kid this past weekend to win Conference! I could care less right now if I didn't take in another fish for the next 6 months as long as my kid wrestles well for the State Series - woo-woo!!!

5. Congrats

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

The fact always comes out that the pleas of "Raise your prices" always come from those who do a comparatively small number of fish and have one or more other jobs to make it possible to pay their bills. They are also some of the best of us and can do a fish that is WORTH so much more than what the rest of us charge. We are talking high end clients who will pay top dollar for a superb piece of fish taxidermy. The vast majority of us charge what we can get and it is what our mounts are worth to the customer. Raising the price lowers the volume. Aaron said that already and most of we should pay attention His studio does more fish in a month than most of us do in a year. Maybe TWO years. THREE??? :D Lowering your volume gives you more time to go hunting, have sex with the wife, go fishing...eh? So does getting laid off. :-\ Lowering your prices in these difficult economic times is an interesting concept....eh? In theory it should increase your volume. Do you want or need more business or not?

7. Well I would give Georges left arm if I could do a fish as good as the people that commented on this thread. My point was it takes a lot of money to do what we do compared to the money we can charge. There I think I finally said what I was trying to say all along lol.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

"So does getting laid off" - LOL Perca!!!

Thanks Darrell! If you know me well enough, you know I'm BEAMING!!! NOW, my son needs to "just do it" over the next few weeks!!!

9. Come on over for free lessons Darrell!!!!!!!!! hahaahaha
    sorry George I couldn't resist.

10. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Darrell,
    Using your time and markup I come up with $17- $18. per inch. A 24" LBM (new arps) @ 172. + $15. shipping+ 25% markup on the blank is $43. + 6hrs labor @ $30 = $180. Add all that up is $410. Divide that by the inches (24) and you get $17.08 per inch.

Another example- a 40" pike from Lake country is $330+ 25. shipping + 25% mark is $83. + 7hrs labor @ $30. is $210. That totals $623. Divide that by 40" and that = $15.57 per inch.

I can't come up with $26. per inch unless the estimated time goes up or the hourly rate goes up to $86. per hr on the pike.

11. I dont get the big cold water trout or pike or muskie like some do my average fish is an 18-20" bass or speckled trout. If I get a big redfish in then the per inch price goes down a bit. I guess I dont do enough fish to know what my true average size is to justify an average length to divide by.

12. LarryL

LarryL Member

Something people forget to add into the price is over head. We have a 24" largemouth at $410.00 + 6 hours @ $20.00 for over head(this amount depends on your situation) =$120.00 + $410.00= $530.00. Now we need a profit 20% is not unreasonable $530.00 /.20% = $106.00 for profit so the total would be $636.00 Divider by 24" =$26.50 an inch.
    pike at 40" $623 + over head $140 (7 hrs @ @ 20.00) =$763 + profit .20% $152.60 =$915.60 / 40" = $22.89 per inch.
    This is just something to thing about when pricing.
    Larry

13. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

LarryL, Excellent point. I was using his figures to make the example. I usually add the profit as part of the hourly wage to cover overhead. His example of $30 per was way too low to include that. Your way is better.

14. Good discussion and humor going here. Thanks for getting it going Darrell. I thought we were gonna have a group hug for a second there...WHEW!

I've always been horrible at figures but somehow have always come out OK. I view it in a very basic sense.....spend less than you make and everything falls into place, so price per inch is a relative thing. How fast one does a procedure or how cheaply has a huge impact in actually working on the piece, but for every taxidermist out there, there is a different set of circumstances as well as costs incurred in living the life they enjoy. So really, to say one must make such and such per day/hour or per inch is only relative to what THEY know and perceive.

My freedom to run the show, where NO boss tells me I have to work on opening day of the deer gun season and I can take off to.... FISH, FISH, and then FISH some more) is damn well worth that extra $9 an inch that won't be found in my wallet......and then some.

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

IMO if it takes you six or 7 hours to do an ARP bass or a Lake Country replica you better find a new occupation. In fact that much time in ANY fish other than some REALLY BIG saltwater is a serious problem.

16. I'm a Construction Manager in the refineries by day and taxidermist by night and weekend. lol

17. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
    Thank god for that veggie garden.
    ;D

18. Here is an excel spreadsheet I use for all pricing, and the cause of this post.

[​IMG]

19. LOL! Josh...you are too funny....
    I have my garlic garden....six varieties and almost 200 in the ground ready for the spring thaw.

It's where I go and talk to myself after tipping all those walleye scales.

20. HAHA

we had squirrels run off with all our garlic we planted. :(
    this year we are putting in a big veggie garden, I cant wait to get out there and start digging around in the dirt.