1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Have you regular fish gurus ran your numbers lately?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by hampshire, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Christie, may I ask what YOUR price per inch is as well as the numbers per year you do? You may PM me on this if you wish.This would tell me how much water your post on pricing holds.
    I do not believe ANYONE stated they would LOVE TO if they could afford it...... about donating a fish to a father and son. In fact, most of us have done many things like that to either give back or promote our business'. The comments on that were directed toward advertising and what one can afford. Josh, in a sense, was advertising and that free fish would in my book go under that category(advertising expenses).
    Now do I really have to turn off Jerry?

2. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

Hey Marc, if it works for you, do it! There is no right or wrong way of doing things, and if Jerry helps you get more work done, or just makes it more enjoyable, by all means crank him up!

Our shop charges $20 for one sided wall skin mounts, $25 for reproductions on the wall, and $30 for pedestal mounts. Those prices are all per inch. You'll have to check with my husband for numbers taken in per year. Fish are not our primary source of business, but all of our prices are rumored to be "high" (and we like them that way). Anyone is welcome to call me at any time and ask what we charge for any particular mount. It's not a secret, and it might be higher or lower than what you charge, but it works for us for right now. While I'm not the "taxidermist", I've been immersed in the industry for almost 10 years, and am the current secretary of the Pennsylvania Taxidermists Association, along with running our shop here in Erie, PA. I might not do the actual work, but I can judge a taxidermy show with the best of them (and have). We don't do much in life that isn't fishing or taxidermy related. What I am pretty darn good at is sales, marketing, and customer service. Which most taxidermists are not.

My main point was that a strict price per inch comparison between taxidermists is not entirely accurate. The fact is (as Jim Tucker pointed out) you can be charging more and making less, which shouldn't be happening. It wasn't to say "everyone should be charging more". If anyone has read any of my other posts, you'll see that I regularly say that I don't care how much you charge, and you don't HAVE to charge more, but don't tell me that you want to but CAN'T charge more because of your location/economy/etc.

Usually, if you are on this forum regularly (and especially if you are reading this post) you are interested in improving your work and business. Most taxidermists focus on improving their work, and few try to improve their business. By becoming aware of business techniques (sales, marketing, customer service, etc.) that could help you spend those advertising dollars wisely, and get more out of those advertising dollars, you're increasing your bottom line. Which is why you are in business in the first place.

3. You bring up many good points Christie and your views on business are not unlike mine though expressed a bit differently.
    EXAMPLE: you say... a taxidermist can be charging more and making less
    I say... a taxidermist can be charging less and be making more.
    Same difference just a different twist.
    Thanks for taking the time and good luck with your biz.