1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm sending all my stuff out for now on

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by redwolf, Feb 19, 2009.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

In no way am I knocking Krowtann, and I'm not saying the guys that use it are crazy BUT it didn't work too good for me. I send all my capes out, but I've been tanning small game myself.
    This is my first attempt at Krowtann, and I followed the directions to a T.
    I live in a city and I know they put all kinds of crap in the water in the winter so I'm sure it effects my tans. I did 2 gray fox and one came out fine but this is what I got with #2. 50% Is no good IMO.
    Luckily this was my own and not a customers fox but I wont be taking any more chances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It really slipped bad Bob. I would like to know why it did that too. Makes me not want to use that.

3. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

I REST MY CASE! Don't send them out redwolf try lutan-f. I promise you will be happy when you can hang a bowlling ball from the hair on the back of the ear's of gray fox :)

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Like I said, I just think it's the additives in our water.
    Maybe that explains why I think the way I do :p.
    I should have just stuck with sending everything out.

I've used Lutan f. I wanted to try Krowtann out.
    I'm still gonna just send my stuff out. It doesn't matter what I use for a tan if my water is constantly changing from the additives.

5. That's all I use.

6. Hey wolf, I had the samething happen to me with a small yote. I used the krowtann and was not pleased. My water is well water and the ph is different than city water, but same results you had. I now use the JRTS (tanning cream) on small mammals as well as deer. I have had no problems with and am quite pleased.

7. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

Red, In my opinion it is NOT the water, But If you think it may be just put a carbon filter on your tap to rid hard chemicals. when you used lutan-f what acid did you use? please don't say saftee............ :)

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I use pickling crystals.

9. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

Its probably not the water, We have well water and I had a badger do that on the chest area. The top layer of skin just slid right off. I bought some JRTS to try.

10. laserred

laserred New Member

You should use JRTS!! ;D

11. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

Ok I have been holding off for days but I have to say this and I know it id totaly stupid but.............................

WHat and where do you get this RJTS I have heard so much about. I know I know its silly but anyway...............

And RedWolf Sorry about the loss there I cant figure out what happened I turn my skins twice a day in the stuff I also put just a little exta in the solution. And they have changed the directions a bit to The last I gto the amounts were diffrent.
    IM not awake yet at 11:00 am

12. You should have used sodium bicarbonate instead of baking soda.

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've been using KT on small critters for 5 or 6 years, never had that happen. Don't know about your water, but maybe the fox was bad to begin with. Or maybe it was over neutralized.

14. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

Make your own JRTS tan. oil, alum......stir HE HE HE. :)

15. laserred

laserred New Member

You can order it from Mckensie's.

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It's the same thing.

17. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

I heard it is not in the catalog, you have to ask for it. I think that's because it is John Rinhardt taxidermy supply "JRTS" creme, but If they change the name to alum oil then they can post it. MSA That stands for "me, smart ass"

18. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

Ross, with 2366 posts......I hope your joking......

19. laserred

laserred New Member

You can order it online thru their website.

20. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

i think he's dead serious :D