1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm sending all my stuff out for now on

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by redwolf, Feb 19, 2009.

1. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

awrighty look here!.....I know EVERYTHING there is to know about anything tan related...............what do you want to know?fire away!hahahha.....just kidding dont ask me 5hit cause i dont know!PLAY NICE BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL WRONG ANY WAY!!! THE BEST WAY TO TAN IS TO USE SUNTAN LOTION!!!ITS THE TAXIDERMY SECRET THE PROS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW!!REALLY!KNOW WHAT ELSE....OATMEAL THATS RIGHT!GOOD OLD FASHION OATMEAL THE BEST HIDE PASTE EVER AND YOU CAN EAT IT WHILE YOU WORK!

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Thanks, Redwolf!

3. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

The value of a tanning thread is lost when it turns into a pissing match. I respond to certian post because I feel like I can add information to the subject.
    I stand behind everything I have said. It has been 17 years since I tanned commercially for taxidermist. I am not trying to sell anything, just help.
    Why people are taking this tanning forum personal is beyond me.

Stuffenstuff, is correct about the use of bleach. My experience is not limited to the taxidermy industry.
    In fact formaldahyde is much better than bleach for killing mold and bacteria. I have used it at 2 grams per liter and soaked freezer burned hides out of the freezer for 7-10 days and not loose hair in the same soak bath. And, all 27 were quality tanned and then mounted by one of the taxidermist we served.

It is not my intention to make anyone a professional tanner . It is my intention to give my opinion based on my experience.
    If someone chooses to call me stupid, then their assesment of my position is all wrong and it is not my lose

I will not enter a pissing match with any other professional tanners period . Every tanner has his or her own methods

That all for now
    Monte

4. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

Man I wish I could have said it like that....... I was going to bring up the use of formalin
    "a 37% solution" of formaldehyde, but I was afraid they would beat me up. :) I used to use 6 drops of formalin to 2 gal of water and one cup of borax with a lid on it. I keep fish in that for a year and they were fine, however I would not use it today.

5. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

stuffenstuff, glutraldahyde is non carcinogenic. You might have to work on how much to use. there is 25% and 50% I know. It is a cousin of formaldehyde.

6. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

Thanks Monte, I will have to look into that. Dave