1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first mount let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by s+t skulls, Feb 21, 2009.

1. this is the first one ive ever done. my dad shot the deer 17 years ago so to finally put it on the wall this many years later was a good experiance for both of us. anyways let me know what you think, Im takin this real serious and want to get started producing some quality mounts! all the opinions are well appericated!

2. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

First thing that jumps out at me are the nostrils. Need to get some references.
    Ears and ear butts.Again references......

3. i completly see the notrols, is the angle off on my ears off?

4. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

looks like your hair isnt laying right in your ears

5. The bottom of the ears is tilted out too far, they should be rotated down a little. Not a bad mount, though, keep at it.

6. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    reference reference reference As much deer reference as there is free take the time and use it. Eyes are off nostrils are off hair patterns are off and ear butts are off. Learn to read reference and you will be on your way to a much better taxidermist. Keep at it

7. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

ditto above posts. was the skin real tight on the form? it looks like the skin is not taxied down enough, as if it is bunched up from the jawbone back... just my opinion. That being said its way better than my first. keep at it, seems like you got the right attitude!

8. #1 headhunter

#1 headhunter New Member

Not bad for your first.Listen to what everyone tells you. Get some reference photos and some mounting CD's. And start using the spellcheck on here will help too.

9. CNB

CNB New Member

Is it just me or does the neck look really short and stubby

10. SHansen

SHansen Member

Hey, not bad I myself have only done a couple and had my last one critiqued and the ears eyes and nostrils was the average critique on mine as well couple people suggested Rick Carter's A to Z Whitetail Video just got it. It is 4 hours long and I couldn't pull myself away. He does an outstanding job. I think it will help your mounts allot but, good start. Ears, Nostrils, Eyes. Good luck.