1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition stress

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Nina Lukaszewicz, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

My deer is mounted, but I still need to refine the details. I've gone through every reference pic on my computer and have tried different eye sets (relaxed to alert) and still I haven't come up with anything I like. I think it's time to go to bed and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. :-\

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It will still be there, looking at you in the moring, as mine will be too.

3. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

feeeeelllll the PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUWHAHHHHAAAAAHHAHHAHHA ;D ;) Sorry JK... :D

4. Dean

Dean New Member

Walk away. You'll look at it later and realize it isn't as bad as you think. Compitition pieces will kill you if you dwell on it to much. You end up over thinking things and convincing yourself it doesn't look right. You can mess up a piece by trying to tweek something at the last minute .Once it's done leave it alone. We've all been there and it isn't fun but we keep coming back for more. Good luck Nina. Take a deeeeep breath and it will be fine.

5. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

One must not think just do.Spoken by Bruce Lee words to live by.Good luck

6. Nina Lukaszewicz

Well, Dean was right. I woke up this morning and saw the deer and it wasn't that bad. It was late last nite and I needed some sleep. I've done some more tweaking this morning and I am happy.

7. buck

buck Member

I do the same every year drives me nuts and for some reason Im doing 2 deer this year

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I did three deer a few years ago for the show, the judge ( a mod here) told me I could have left two of them home, as all three had the same mistakes. lol

9. Dean

Dean New Member

T- That is so true. When a mistake is made on one most of the time it's done wrong on all the pieces ,unless you're attempting to do or try something totally new or go for a different look. Most of the time it doesn't work either because it's the technical problems that get you. Eyes, ears lip, hair patterns, nose etc

10. Be sure to hold a mirror in front of the deer and look at it in that mirror from behind the deer.

11. jcrosstaxidermy

jcrosstaxidermy New Member

Cover it wth a sheet for 3-4 days then uncover it -- gives a whole new perspective on whats there..

12. Nina Lukaszewicz

So I've been doing the final finish work on my deer, and I am happy with the eyes and muzzle.
    But THOSE EARS!!!! That's the only part I paint with the airbrush, and airbrush and I do not get along.
    I got so frustrated I had to put the mount away, and forget about it at least for the night.
    Maybe tomorrow I can get it finished at last, 4 days before the show. Damn, I need to get this competition stuff out of my system.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You will do well Nina, my deer is in the auto tanner as we type.

14. Nina Lukaszewicz

I know for sure I've put some serious hours into this piece. Last year's deer was rushed, I mounted it in a hurry and didn't take the time to really dig into some reference. If anything I hope I've improved.

15. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nina said Damn ;D

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Rush, yep, thats not the way to do it for a show, I learned that once also.

17. Nina Lukaszewicz

Yeah. The judge last year opened my eyes on that critique sheet and I knew I would never rush anything again.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I have 11 days to be finished, that will give me a week to dry and paint. I wish I could go to Penn and take a look see.

19. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

11 days? Oh crap. Gotta go!

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

How far along are you Joe?