1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lets see if I've cut my own throat

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bobbi Meyer, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Bobbie, if you will post for me i would be glad too! I will send you my work!

2. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I'm in the gameheads for Feb 21st.
    All over my website too!!

3. CWP

CWP Custom Hardwood Plaques

Bobbi, you do very nice work and people will pay for good taxidermy. IMO you dont want the clients who are looking for the best price.

4. Bobbi Meyer

thanks for the compliments.
    I think I'm probably the highest here now...we'll see what happens.

5. Colonel

Colonel Missouri River Rat

Your not the highest around here. Anthony Eddy wildlife studios in Slater is a lot more than you and from what I hear he is always loaded with deer.

6. Bobbi Meyer

He's got a hugh freeze drying business too.
    I wish there were more Missouri taxidermists with websites...I really like looking at everyones work to see where I stand.

7. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Price? price?,price?.........always seems to be the big question.......Do you use the best eyes, the best forms, the best hidepaste, the best tan........do you spend as much time needed to do the best mount........Then hell ya you deserve to get the best price.......Even if your $100 more than anyone in your area....... Your work will speak for itself......But you need to sell yourself also,especially to the customers you have now.....Be confident in your work........let them know about the new expensive eyes,how you detail out the more expensive forms that you have to order half way across the US, and that's why I need to charge more so you can have the best mount that will last a lifetime.........Word travels fast......Good artist's deserve to be paid well.....In my area I'm $80 to $200 more than anyone else........I know exactly how you feel,I went through the same thing.......About 10 years ago I made a $75 jump and took in 25 to30 more heads that year than the previous........Bite the bullet and don't worry about it, you'll do fine......... ;D ;D ;D

8. This year I was $500 for a regular shoulder, $600 wall ped, $650 full ped + the cost of the ped and offer pedistals all the way up to $800 each. I'm going up again next year and plan to keep going up until nobody brings me anything. So far everytime I go up so do the number of heads that come in the door. If i can get $1000 a head I'm gonna do it make over twice the money and have more time for ME.

9. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Go Rooster....Thats the spirit.......Thats what I'm talkin about......Don't look back ;)

10. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

Bobbi,
    I have those thoughts when I raise my price. Then shortly there after I get off the phone with the tanner and find that they are 7% higher which on average equates to about +-$3.00 per WT Cape, and figure it to be about 120 dollars over the course of the year. Forms go up yearly, Shipping, etc. etc.... So I guess the taxidermist should just take a pay decrease every year... Or work harder to make just as much money... Wrong answer. Wether full time or part time your prices need to change with the material cost, and your expertise. Good luck with your prices, I think that you will take in just as many if not more.

11. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

I think you did the right thing BECAUSE:(1)taxidermy is obviously a passion to you.usually when it is a passion to someone it shows in their work.(2)The few pics of your work that you have posted(to me)is worth it.(3)It shows you have confidence in your abilities which in my eyes lets that hunter know his head is in good hands(hahahahah "his head is in good hands") sounds like kevorkian!!best of luck!Im sure you will do well!

12. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

You have nice looking mounts you will be just fine there are lots of benefits for raising your prices. Mainly make a living

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I raised mine this year from 395 to 425 and only took in half as much, but I think it was mainly due to a bad hunting season and 8-10 other taxis here doing it for 200-350, with some of them doing decent work.

14. Glad to see you took the first step and raised your price, should be HIGHER.
    your almost half way to my price ;)
    and if you were going to raise it, should of been a foot instead of an inch like 500 or 600
    you can sow up a throat can't you :D :D :D your just pulling away from the Hacks
    take care BOBBIE

15. yelper

yelper Do or Do Not.... There is no try

GA
    I went up this past season & took in more than last year, not many, but more. I'll likely go up this year as well. I have to. The biggest hurdle I have, are the low ballers around me. It's hard to compete with $225.00 a head. I still don't know how to handle the "price shoppers". I read post a while back about it where someone said the first thing they ask the caller is ..."are you looking for a cheap price or a quality mount?" I haven't tried it yet. The bad thing is most people around here are price driven when it comes to taxidermy. People say let your work speak for it self but that is hard to do when after they hear the price they go deaf!

16. after awhile they don't ask they just bring them word of mouth

17. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

$400 is pretty cheap. Your customers will be getting a good deal they should be happy

18. ed150

ed150 deer city time

you will get work regardless of the price increase,I'm our area range from 250 to 375,i went up to 425 didn't make any difference,besides your work is good and well worth that price,don't worry to much about the other guys prices

19. SHansen

SHansen Member

Bobbie, that is still cheap I live in North Dakota and am only a beginner but, next year I hope to get 400.00 North Dakota is one of the cheaper states to live and the taxidermist around my area are at 475.00. Good Luck you deserve at least that for the work you do.

20. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

My prices went up from $350.00 last year to $375.00 this year. My business is down, but I don't think it's from my price increase. People around here are just being tight with their money and keeping the deer heads in their freezer until things get a little easier financially. At least that what I hope is the reason. It's giving me some time to catch up on some of my own things for the shop.