1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing a wall Pedestal

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by TheShed, Feb 24, 2009.

1. TheShed

TheShed Member

I've seen people paint the back or put leather back there. I was just wondering when you put leather back there, what is the leather attached to before it is placed or is it adhered straight to the back? If it is placed on a backer type board how do you attach it straight to the foam? If you could show pics that would be great. I've seen it done on a regular pedestal with a backer board but the angle on a wall pedestal seem a little more exagerated and I can't figure out how to get the masonite or something to bend that way.
    thanks

2. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

I just hot glue the leather straight to the form, stretching and smoothing as I go. Then I trim off the excess with a scalpel and you are done. Very easy and looks nice.

3. I am finishing a Meder profile ped. tonight. I am putting a brown suede fabric on the back and attaching it with vinyl wall paper adhesive. I will take some pictures of the process, its pretty easy.

4. Head Hunter

Head Hunter Member

Aleene's tacky glue from Wal-Mart works well with felt or fabric. I have not tried it on leather.

5. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

I attach the leather right to the form. Make sure you remove any mold release with some type of solvent. Spray the area to be covered with spray adhesive and also spray the leather. Let dry for a couple of minutes. Then carefully apply the leather to the form. Make sure you get it right because it'll really stick. Trim off the excess with a razor blade . Really quite simple.

6. Cameraman

Cameraman Member

I put some Mossy Oak material on the back of one last week and used hide paste to hold it. I also overlaped it on the manikin so the hide would lay on it a bit.

7. bowhntr

bowhntr New Member

Here's one I finnished with naugahide tucked into a slot with the hide. makes a nice clean edge. Naugahide is glued down with floor adhesive.

Michael

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice Michael, nice clean looking mount and the ears look very nice and clean as well.

9. TheShed

TheShed Member

How do you get the slot even all the way around to tuck into?

10. bowhntr

bowhntr New Member

Thanks Matt. I've seen your work on here so that means alot!

I use a drill bit, I think it's about a 3/16, but i'm not sure but I will look when I get home from work. Draw a guide line about an 3/4 to an inch from the edge, then follow it with the bit in a drill. Go slow because the bit will wan't to walk on you if you get too fast. I usually make the slot about 3/4 of an inch deep, then tuck the hide first and then glue down the naugahide and tuck it into the slot. If the slot is the right size the hide and naugahide will come together nicely and no other finishing is needed unless you want too.

Thanks,
    Michael

11. Great looking mount Michael and sounds like a good procedure to attach the material.