1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How would you go about altering a standerd wall form to a wall pedestal?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Chops, Feb 24, 2009.

1. I'm having a trouble finding a wall pedestal for a large Mule Deer 23" neck. McKenzie is the only i found making a MD form like this, but only in smaller sizes (still waiting on the truefit catalog). Because it's a larger deer I'm really not wanting to just swap the head on a WT form. I was thinking of altering a Joe Coombs or McKenzie wall form. I really like the Coombs 9500 series look. Have you or could your recommend how you would go about doing this. I have an idea in my head but would really like to hear how some of you pro's might go about it or have any tips. I've spent days and was up to 4:00 am yesterday searching on the forum with no luck.

Thanks, Chops

2. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

The easiest thing to do is to use a whitetail form and use a changout head. This will save you a LOT of time. If you insist on altering a mulie standard shoulder form, Remove the backboard. Cut the shoulder that will be against the wall. When satisfied with the angle, trace the area cut on a piece of plywood and cut a new backboard. Attach the new backboard with bondo (Yes Bondo !!!!!!)The next step is to add on to the outside shoulder. You can add as much or as little as you like (two part foam) . You now can scoop out the foam to give it the concave look. I do this with a sawzall and a long blade. Put a nice deep bend in the blade and start cutting. It works great ! Now attach the form to a mounting stand and turn the head and neck. I personally cut three vertical wedges from the inside of the turn. One at the shoulder junction, one at the center of the neck and one as close to the head as you can get. Depending on how big a wedges you remove determines how much of a turn you achive. Foam the pieces together and rasp into shape. Its a lot of work and makes a Hell of a mess. Once you do a few of these it actually isn't that bad. I can do a deer size form in less than an hour.

3. Thanks for your input. Your way sounds better than what i had in mind.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,80211.0.html

5. You Rock Red Thanks man!

6. akmike

akmike Member

trufit has them

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Go to the tutorials section, and click on list of tutorials by subject. There is a whole weeks worth of reading there that Ken Edwards set up.