1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota V or Dakota Pro?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by GravityKills, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Ok, I have decided to get a fleshing machine with my tax return. What would be the best one, a Dakota V or a Pro? I am not doing heavy work, but I am doing my own tanning with an auto tanner now. I prefer to flesh out thin when the skin is green, but will eventually do the 2 hour shaving. Either way, what would be the pros and cons, and who has one or both of these machines to tell me their opinions?

This is a BIG purchase for me, so thanks for any responses... ;)

2. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

I bought a pro a couple years ago Anna, and it was well worth the money. You say you dont
    do anything big right now, but in the future? you just may. The micro adjustments are very nice
    to have in my opinion. The pro will do anything you want to do on it.

3. Heck

Heck Active Member

Hey Gravity....JMO
    I have the V, table model.....love it. I cant see spending the extra cash on glitz and glam.... Once you get the V set up how you want, the only time you have to mess with the guards is when you have to change blades.....That I have done once in the last 5 years!!! I use mine on everything from buffalo to bobcats.

4. Thats just it, I want to gear up incase I get my shop going big, be prepared. I just see the major price diffrence, and I dont really know what makes it so diffrent fomr the V. I want to buy the stainless steel table that it mounts to as well. A chunk of change there! ;)

5. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Anna, the rawhide will cause less stress on your body. It is the most professional machine IMO.

6. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ! JMO

7. Still undecided. Also, was looking at one of those Merlin thingys... the hand held electric tool that can sand, cut and flesh details. Anyone have one of those? Is it worth the time and money for facial detailing, or stick with hand fleshing the details?
    My problem is I am SLOW.... I am faster than I used to be, but I get anal about deatil, and will flesh out a deer face so damn clean, nothing but the skin and hair left. I get GREAT results, of course, but it takes me forever.... Always looking for anythng that may help speed up things.

8. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

Here is my take on the fleshers ,number one (1) Eager Beaver, (2)Cape Master and Raw Hide, (3) Dakota Pro.the rest of them is a wast of MY Money, but it is not my money to spend.