1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ready for a critique

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Pirate, Sep 14, 2006.

1. This is the first lifesize deer that I did that I did major alterations for. The deer was only 60 pounds and I could not find a form that I liked that fit. I cut this form into about 20 pieces. I think I did a pretty good job. I'm real happy with the results. Now I want to hear what I did wrong. I would really like honest critiques. At a boys don't help me get better unless you honestly can't find anything wrong with it. I would appreciate it though if you really like sonething I did to also state that so I can keep doing it that way. I know the pictures aren't the greatest but it is what I have.

2. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

The only thing I can see is something doesnt look right about the ears, they might be set to high or too far back, Im not sure what it is. But from the pics I would honestly say the it looks good, escpeicaly if that deer form was in 20 pieces. I liek the habitat you put it on.

3. Overall this is a nice mount. Nice facial expression around the eyes, and the nose seems good too. The ears however need work. The ear shape overall is good, but your ear butts are not. First off, the ears are set too high on the head. Your earbutts go all the way down the neck. They should stop roughly at the same height as the eyes if you were to draw a straight line from the back corner of the eye to the earbutt. They also lack definition.

Earbutts on deer consist of three major muscles. Depending which way the ear faces, forward or back, each muscle is either contracted or elongated. This needs to show on the mount. If you go to the Whitetail Designer website, Glen Conley has some outstanding reference photos for deer earbutts on there.
    I suggest you study those pictures so you can correct this on your next mount. If it is not too late and your clay is still workable, you can even correct this on this doe. Keep up the good work, you're doing great. :)

4. Dean

Dean New Member

The skin looks to big for the form. It looks like there is extra skin taxied at the head giving the look you all picked up on with the ears.The ears are to far back. That means the skin should be tight between the eyes and ears. It's not,its loose there too. The legs seem to fit nice but the rest of the form needed to be made larger. Pirate- let me know if I'm wrong, was the skin fitting kind of loose especially at the head? Not bad for your first lifesize. If the skin fit better it would take care of some of the little skin problems. Just being honest. Keep it up your almost there.

5. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Here this may help on the ear anatomy issues. Good job and good luck.

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

nice

7. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Nice doe Pirate.
    Everyone has pointed out the ears... so I'll skip it. The eyes look nice... and the body. My problem lies in the nose... the nostrils are the wrong shape.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic edited off of WASCO's site of a deer nose reference they sell. The nostril is tear drop shaped of sorts. Your doe looks like she just has two round openings, maybe the photo doesn't show them off correctly. I don't see the back corners defined. The upper part of the pad edge makes a wing of sorts over the nostril that looks flat on your deer. There's my two cent. Great job, keep it up.

Later,
    Wolf

8. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Nostril shape can vary to a degree in whitetails. Most of your cast obviously are taken off of a dead specimen that have lost muscle tone. We can not forget this when recreating a pose. This winds up being the accepted norm in our trade, causing my understanding of Wolf's post. But, deer can create nearly a perfect circle out of their nares. These deer are winding, searching for scent molecules. The wings raise, thinning out. This creates a low spot in the center of the pad (septum attachmnet doesn't change). I didn't mention your nose early, but I did notice the shape. Your deer is alert and obviously focused in on something, possibly a predator. I would bet the deer is also checking the wind for scent of this predator. If you don't believe deer do this, see the photo below. My apologizes Wolf, I just thought I might pass some deer physiology on to both of you. Good Luck and nice mount.

9. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Thanks for the pic, KBauman. No need to apologize... good point and one I didn't think of when I made my critique. Sorry about the pic of the cast... I couldn't find a non-copywritten photo of a good deer nose last night in my brief search so I borrowed the pic off WASCO's site. I don't use casts, I prefer photos, but it showed what I was trying to explain. Now that you mention it, one of the deer I get to feed and get up close to on a ranch will do that when he's sniffing around for the apple I keep in my pocket to feed him. He flared once like that when I spooked him at a feed station by accident, too. My problem with the nose, isn't so much of a problem if that is the expression Pirate was after... maybe he can fill us in.

10. About the nose, I think part of what you are seeing may be in the shadows of the picture. The nose is not as closed down as in your photo of the cast. It is also no where near as wide open as the live deer picture of the nose. I didn't alter the form much in this area. It was flared somewhat to start with because of the alert pose I think. After looking at it again I think the photo is a little deceiving in this area. I can see what you are talking about in the photo but in real life it doesn't look quite that open.

11. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Cool, yeah I said, "maybe the photo doesn't show them off correctly." Photoing mounts can be tricky with lighting and angle and such to deal with. I like the deer though, its a nice little piebald, great job Pirate.

12. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Try this one, it may be more helpful. Good Luck to both of you.

13. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Nice mount, I love piebalds

14. Hogger

Hogger "The Gipper"

I agree that the ears are a little off as described by others. The deer looks really nice though. If I was to nitpick I'd say that maybe the hair pattern at the front of the brisket is just a wee bit too high up the neck and needed to be pulled down toward the underbelly, just slightly though.

15. Bowhunt Iowa

Bowhunt Iowa New Member

thought I would add another reference photo that I had in my collection

16. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I agree with wolf about the nostril shape. Also from what I could tell I think the nostrils are too dark in color.
    Chuck

17. northwesttrapper

northwesttrapper New Member

nice job