1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

be carefull with scalpol or this could happen

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by wasatch skull, Feb 27, 2009.

1. not a problem my camera is with my wife now but when she gets home i will get some. its healing up nice

2. muleyhunter413

muleyhunter413 Member

That sucks man. I hope you get it back in good working condition as fast as is possible. I deal with some ill efffects of a hand injury daily. I did not cut mine as smooth as I ground it up in an industrial belt sander. After 6 surgeries I said enough, the next surgery I have will be to take off my pinky. Hope you get better usage than I even did. By the way are you from Utah? If so where abouts? Good luck man. Really wish you a speedy recovery.

3. yes i am from Utah i live in Heber. and i am sorry i haven't got the pictures up yet i have to go buy a new camera

4. Kyah

Kyah New Member

Hi wasatch skull,
    I was just doing some research and reading the archives here, and I came across your story. It struck a chord with me.

Six years ago my husband got hurt while harvesting blueberries. The harvester they were using was one of the older models that goes behind a tractor. The morning of his accident, the harvester got plugged up with some old brush. He was in a hurry and got off the tractor to pull the brush out. And in his rush, he forgot to dis-engage the power take off.

As he was pulling the brush out, the "teeth" on the harvester caught his arm and began "feeding" it through the machine. Thank God he had someone with him. When his friend dis-engaged the power take off, his whole arm was inside, and his body would have been next.

He didn't have a cut like you did, but a series of large open puncture wounds from the 6 inch "teeth" on the harvester. I couldn't even look at his hand. He did have severe nerve damage to the same nerve you did. A few months later, he developed a disorder in which his hand turned very cold and took on a glossy apperance. Sorry, I can't recall what the technical term is for it though.

The docs told him the nerve would grow back, albeit very slowly, something like 3 or 4 mm each month, and the feeling has returned to his arm and hand now.

I sure hope you're doing alright. Your story brought a tear to my eyes, I'll tell ya. A bad cut is one thing, but nerve damage is quite another.

Warmest wishes,
    Kyah

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

TTT, I still feel stupid for doubting this story in the beginning. Easily the worst taxidermy accident i've ever seen!

6. mc taxidermy

mc taxidermy New Member

I call bs to

7. well its not i proved that

8. BIGLAWE

BIGLAWE New Member

wish you well my friend

9. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Its not BS it happend. Hows it healing? I wish you would post a current pic. Thanks.

10. It is healling realy good. I will go find my camera and get some pictures

11. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Exactly. It even ranks up there with just one of the worst injuries I've seen too. Just gross. That's why I copied the pictures and put them in a folder for me to look at and remind myself...we aren't making cupcakes here people. I love seeing the injuries...the ewwwwwww factor...but man...that had to hurt like a SOB during all of it. Injury to healing to probably an ache/itch even now.

I look forward to seeing how it looks now wasatch.

12. what you using for a scapel, a sawz-all????

13. ToddsTaxidermyUtah

ToddsTaxidermyUtah New Member

how big was that blade ?

14. csmingler

csmingler New Member

talk about ouch

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

new guys,,, they don't look at the dates to these old post,,,