1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do I get started?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Maineiac36, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

I am an avid artist and outdoorsman living in Maine. I am interested in learning how to become a taxidermist. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am brand new to this site. Please welcome me.

2. jbnf

jbnf New Member

Welcome to the site. It is very helpful and is filled with more knowledge than you could have imagined. The biggest suggestion that I could give is to buy some dvd's, books, or anything else taxidermy related and watch it and read it over and over. There probably isn't a "easy" animal to start with. Start with something that you have plenty of whether it be a coon, coyote, fox whatever and practice on them. Be sure and post them on here for the pros to critique. They will help you tremendously.

Also when using this site remember several things.

1. Its probably been asked before so use the search button to find your answer
    2. Don't get discouraged when someone tells it like it is on here
    3. Don't give up, the more you practice the better you will be

And once again welcome to the world of taxidermy and to this strange place we hang out!!

3. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

Jbnf, Thank you for the reply as well as the advice. I look forward to the challenges that lay ahead.

4. CAMOGUY

CAMOGUY CAN'T COUNT IT TILL YOU MOUNT IT.

OH CHALLENGES THERE WILL BE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO TO TAXIDERMY. GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME.

5. WASCO sell the Breakthrough series of books, you may even buy them here scond hand. The information while 20 years old is still current. its the basics and thats where and how you start! Then get a few videos or DVDs.

The new Breakthrough series of DVDs are outstanding along with Rick Carters DVD on Whitetails.

6. deadwood

deadwood New Member

I agree....get yourself some dvd's and books, also check this site out...OFTEN, this will help. And as for tools, I seen that Van Dykes has tool kits for sale, for whitetail, birds and fish. (looks like a good deal to me, for someone starting out)

7. Moosabec Taxidermy

Moosabec Taxidermy New Member

Welcome fellow Maineiac! The information given to you above is all very correct, and is the very foundation of information that you will need to get started in the field of taxidermy, and coming to this site was the best move you could of done. I wish this site existed when I first started, it would of saved me from many stupid past mistakes that I made without knowing what the hell I was doing, lol... Welcome aboard and let us know if we can be of any assistance in your taxidermy endeavors...

8. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

Hello all and thank you all for the very warm welcome to this site. All of your advice is much appreciated. I ordered the WASCO catalog and look forward to getting started. I will be here often and have no Cuams with constructive critisism. John, I sent a pm. look forward to hearing from you.

9. FYI, The Maine Ass. of Taxidermists is having thier anual competition @ the Civic center in Augusta on the weekend of the27th-29th of March.You can Call John Wardwell(president)@445-2908, Or,Steve Gilboe( secratery)668-4054, for details.

10. stuffer2000

stuffer2000 New Member

If you are just starting I would definatly be at the show and sit in on all the seminars you can. The info you pickup from those guys is priceless and all it costs is once a year membership dues. Plus yoou get to meet a bunch of men and women that have a love for all things outdoors just like yourself. Best of Luck Jamie

11. Moosabec Taxidermy

Mountain Ed, Dana Saucier is the new president of the Maine Taxidermy Association. His number is: (207) 353-6599... The rest of the info is correct as far as the dates anyway, and the advise concerning the priceless info he can learn from these interesting and talented men and women is as stuffer2000 says----> "priceless"

12. Thanks, last newsletter i got(january 09) still listed John as President.I agree about being priceless. Its a great way to learn new techniques ,and the comradery w/ the other members is always cool.

13. country-captn

country-captn New Member

I would recommend attending a taxidermy school. I attended a school my self and then started working as an apprentice. That really jumpstarted my carrear. I have tried the books and Cd's and it isn't even comparable to a good taxidermy school. The school I attended and would recommend to anyone is Stoney Hills School of Taxidermy. Information on the course is available at stoneyhillls.com.

If you have any questions about attending a school and how it would be beneficial just send me an e-mail. [email protected]

14. Moosabec Taxidermy

I agree Mountain Ed. So you're in New Hampshire, right next door...

15. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK

16. Yep, N.H. here.I went to the Me. show a couple yrs back and competed/joined up. Great bunch of guys! BTW , i just got another letter about this yrs show,saying it's on the weekend of April 2nd???

17. smoke11402

smoke11402 New Member

Stoney Hills School of Taxidermy is where you need to go! If you want to learn the art and learn it very well, attend Stoney Hills. I did, and its the best decision I ever made!

18. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

Thanks guys for all the feedback it is much appreciated. I have just sent for information on the penn. institute of taxidermy. The Location and the financial aid availability seem like they will work for me. I am waiting to hear from them regarding a tour date. i have heard from every single person that I have been contacted by or that has posted that a school of some sort of hands on with a profesional is the way to go. Tahnk you all for your guidance and I am greatful to those of oyu who have emailed and affered assistence in getting started. I love this site and the cameradery of the people on it. David~

19. rabidhunter66

rabidhunter66 New Member

Maineiac PM sent...I ordered this 4 DVD set just to get a start and build a little knowledge before shelling out thousands of dollars and weeks off from work. The school is a good idea I just dont want to go in cold. The set I ordered http://www.learn-taxidermy.com/index.htm

20. Moosabec Taxidermy

Mountain Ed, I last spoke with Dana, the new Pres. a month ago, and as far as it was then, it was still going to be held on the last weekend of March at the Augusta Civic Center. Unless the dates were moved up, that's news to me, I donno... I thought the Boone and Crockett awards and banquet was being held at the beginning of April, unless that was changed too??? I'm hurrying and trying to get a big buck with it's humongous antlers done for a guy who is getting an award there at the Boone and Crockett ceremony because of his high score on the size of his deer's antlers and he asked especially (more like bagged, lol) if I'd be done his monster buck by the end of March for that very reason because he wants to present it, all mounted up and pretty at the banquet. Ha, I've been trying to mount two and three deer heads at at time to push him up so his buck could be done on time for this Boone and Crockett event... I figured that it would be good advertisement for my taxidermy business as well so I agreed to try to meet his date. His monster buck is huge and I'm doing alot of extras to make it look pretty and on top of that I'm up to my butt in other taxidermy work and I'm working my but off to make this guy happy at the great and painful expense of my sore back and hurting fingers from sewing to much without any breaks, lol... So, kinda left in the dark as to the new dates, I'm answering my own question here, but I guess maybe the dates were changed for the Maine Taxidermy Association and the Boone and Crockett awards. Maybe they switched with each other??? You think??? I donno, Dana Saucier is a friend of mine and you'd think he would of called me and told me about it by now??? He's trying (more like bugging me!!!) real hard to get me to join the Maine Taxidermy Association, lol... I guess he'll have to work harder than that to get me to join if he changed the dates and never told me about it. It's not like we just met. We've been friends since high school... Awwww, maybe I'll just call him and give him hell, lol... Thanks for the update...