1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sew Y incision with Nylon?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by xtravisx, Feb 27, 2009.

1. xtravisx

xtravisx New Member

I bought some waxed cape thread from Van Dykes and it worked well but was hard to sew because I had to use a bigger needle. I watched Rick Carter's A to Z and he used a double strand of Nylon thread. Is it anything special or waxed or anything? I bought some nylon thread from walmart and was wondering if it would work ok because I can thread it into my smaller needle that is eaiser to sew with.
  2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I love the braid(spiderwire) it's alot smaller diameter and alot stronger. Not to mention, it's easier to hide a seam in short hair with it.

3. Agreed!
  4. Birddog33

Birddog33 New Member

Hey Matt what size spiderwire do you use and what size needle. I have thought about trying that but dont know what to use. Thanks

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Fire Line in my shop, it doesn't uncoil after you snug it tight.
  6. xtravisx

xtravisx New Member

So should I not use the nylon and stick with the cape thread till I can get some fire wire or spider wire?
  7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

there are no laws here, try all three, see what you like best.
  8. I agree with Mr.T. I try almost everything I hear of at least once, and use what best fits for me. That's what this is for. To share opinions and advice. To try new things.
  9. tracy

tracy coon dogs

i love the spiderwire other than sometimes it is hard for me to see when i am working with it just happen to be out of the stuff i was using 1 day and had it and gave it a try now
    i can not see using anything but i get great seems if i take my time i have a hare time finding them when i am done

10. 30 lb