1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Reproduction antlers critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by silvan, Mar 1, 2009.

1. silvan

silvan New Member

this is my first attempt at this and wanted opinions befor I give it a final clear coat. I have satin and gloss clear coats, witch one do i want to use?
    [​IMG]
    I placed them next to some real horns for referance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silvan

silvan New Member

ow ya, I did not make these only painted them!

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

dont take this the wrong way, but i think they are to dark and look nothing like the real thing from this area anyway.

as far as coating them, i dont put anything on them, unless its a matte sealer, and i only lightly do that, on reproductions only, i dont put anything on real antlers.

4. Jim L

Jim L New Member

I also think they look too dark.

5. I agree with Russ and Jim . However, there are deer that have antlers that dark. My father shot one in maine a few years ago and they're the darkest ive seen. I think you should tone down the white tips on the smaller one, but tahts just me. I guess it all depends on the reference your using

6. silvan

silvan New Member

than I shall try to lighten them up. I used thinner and the tar from a shingle to do the color, they are antlers for a jack-o-lop but will go on a racoon!

7. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

i use aged oak gelstain by minwax for a base coat, wipe on and wipe off unti you get the shade you desire. Tar and thinner seems like an awful way to go to get the results you want. I have never tried that method, but tar in general would keep me from trying it LOL

8. They look to dark, the way i do it is i use the a dark brown water based paint, then ill have a brush, and paper towel and just paint then wipe till everything looks good.

9. chongo

chongo Member

I think the front rack transitions too suddenly to the white tips. Also, the white itself looks a little bleached to seem natural.

10. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

defiantly to dark try to remove some of the stain with thinner if your gonna use stain use a lite oak and wipe it off not dark cherry or something, some steel wool might make it good leave some in some places

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I agree too dark...... BUT when you are ready to lock the paint in use KRYLON #1311 in a couple light coats.