1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Making of Tub-o-lard

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Ted B, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

I said that I had pictures of how Ken made this beast and with Ken's permission I am going to share them with you. This first photo shows exactly what Ken started out with to make this mannikin. The first day I was there I asked where his Walrus mannikin was, he pointed to a couple of 2x4's and some steel pipe (that's right 2x4's and steel pipe, I didn'e believe it either).

2. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Ken made a carcass cast of the actual head of the Walrus, don't ask me how, I don't know. With that, he took the tusks (that were still attached to the skull) and cut the cast in half to install the tusks. When he was finished we attached the head to some more steel pipe and bolted it to the "mannikin". In the picture you can see the threaded rods for legs going through the 2x4's. His shop hand (not me) installed these incorrectly, Ken then had to remove them and reinstall them at the proper angles based on the reference photos he had.

3. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Here you can see how it's starting to come along.

4. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Here is another view from the side. Of course, Walker is busy gulping down coffee (if he's not working or on the phone he's drinking coffee)

5. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Here it's got it's basic shape and backbone installed.

6. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

We wrapped the entire mannikin in chicken wire and stuffed it with every available scrap of foam we could find. Those of you who know Ken know that he is......Hmm, how does one put this.......THRIFTY. Believe it or not he saves every scrap of foam for days like this.

Hey Ken, where's your trusty coffee cup???

7. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Now it's really taking shape!

8. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Last pic I promise! Here's the first of MANY test fittings. Of course you've seen how it turns out. I just wish that I didn't have to travel back home and miss the mounting of this thing.

Ken, thanks for letting me post these pics here and thanks for letting me be part of making that thing, it was great, even if I didn't take credit for it on my website unlike some other taxidermist that was there :mad:

9. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Thanks Ted! Very informative.

10. B.S.

B.S. New Member

Yes indeed , thanks Ted ! Great pics and commentary !

11. Now that is really a project of lard.... I mean, large proportions. Pretty interesting. Thanks for the pics and post.

12. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

That's neat.It's a rare taxidermist these days that can fabricate a mannikin,and a good one.Thanks for sharing that.

13. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Thanks for both of you!! I could have watched even more picture's,but even this is marvelous!!! Really educational and interesting.

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

i wish i had those skills. damn thats impressive. awesome job. i love those polar bears!

keep up the great work.

15. Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Is that a deer head on the floor in the first picture?

16. JLong

JLong Member

Thats awesome, thanks allot for sharing it with all of us.

17. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Andy, yes that's a deer head in the first picture, I was making some palate casts while I was there.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those,Ted. For those who don`t know,Ted and I are friends,and he knows I have an "unlocked door"policy as I don`t offer courses as per say.So Ted comes over from Saskatchewan and helps out in the shop and we find time to do some casting and competition work as well.It seems to work out good for both of us and sometimes,like that time,we get to work on something different.

19. By using the word THRIFTY to describe Ken, do you really mean CHEAP??? LOL Awesome as always!!!!

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ken, will you stop impressing us so much!!! You are something, my friend. I already KNOW how talented you are, and you keep surprising me! By the way, I couldnt help but notice the new skinnier Ken...especially compared to the walrus! Hahaha, nice mount as usual, and say hey to my buddy Ted.