1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Snow goose?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mn_jimmer, Mar 2, 2009.

1. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

Last night I skinned and fleshed what I thought was a snow goose. Upon comparing the the artificial head I ordered to the actual head there was quite a difference in size. The bill on the real head is probably a half inch longer. Are there different subspecies of snows that would have different size heads, or is this some other species of goose? Ross? Also the manikin I ordered was too large for the actual body.

2. Kevin AL

Kevin AL New Member

There are 3 subspecies. Greater, Lesser, and Ross's. The Ross's beak is smooth in the mouth area. The greater and lesser almost appear to have exposed teeth.

3. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

Is there that much difference in the head sizes of the three subspecies? The artificial head I got from a well known supplier wasn't even close.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The difference in the head size can be huge even in individuals of the same species. That's not to mention the fact that males and females are usually different as well.
    The fact that suppliers dont' show the sizes of their cast heads is one of my pet peeves.

5. wings II

wings II New Member

Where I'm at I take in Specs, Lessers, Snows, Blues, Ross', Cacklers and even a few Greaters and one thing you can bet on - Each and Every head and bill is a different size; each of the species named above comes in small, medium, large, XXL.

I tried several different ways to address the wide size variation and I finally settled on Wingman's method to make sure I get a nice head fit each time: WING"TIPS" # 31 Real head artificial ''method'' (Not to mention the cost of a reproduction head for a goose is very steep these days.)

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

You can always call Tony F. and give him the measurements. He can match something up for sure....or use the real head.

7. I can't find the e-mail from Tony F. but he told me to go by weight of the bird & it has worked out good for me. We get Lessers here in Washington & I've had to use three differnet sized heads thru the years.
    Darwin

8. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

We have four sizes of Snows. Measure overall length-- length from tip to corner of the mouth and width at the corner of mouth. If I ever get time I will measure each, but it will be a monumental task. Or you can call and ask. [email protected] 909-886-8640 909-234-3648 cell You should always order bodies by size and not totally by species. Bodies vary in size more than heads do.