1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help with hanging my icicles (with pics)

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by brushwolf, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Yes i have used "The Search Button" ,but honestly i need a pictorial on making these suckers i just can't grasp ahold the information thats written just a little over my head right now. :) :D Thanks in advance,
    Jonathan T.

Alright I've made some icicles now somethings really puzzling me is how to attach it to where they're supposed to hang.
    I will really appreciate it if some of y'all could help me on this.... Thanks in advance Jonathan T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

Re: Can some please make a tutorial on making icicles.

Hey brushwolf,
    turn on a insulated hose outside at a slow trickle when it is below 32 degrees and run the water off the edge of the roof and watch it form. ;D
    Sorry I dont have pictures, Its pretty warm here right now.

3. Re: Can some please make a tutorial on making icicles.

use latex 74 and rub it on a carrot, then remove the mold and pour in envirotex... perfect icicle

4. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Get an actual icicle and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. It should be done by then and walla.

What RichH said

5. Re: Can some please make a tutorial on making icicles.

Taxidermy Today Book May/June 1998
    pages 98 /101/103

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Pull apart a white cotton ball and dip the strands in clear casting resin.

7. Natures Art

Natures Art Gone Fishin!!!

Here ya go........

http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/p/2982-HOW-TO-CREATE-WATER-ICE-GOLDMAN.html?feed=froogle

Lots of good info in this little book.

8. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Jonathan, I just made some about a month ago using the carrot method. Mold them with 100% silicone like it was done on the rock casting tutorial. I put some cotton in the top of the icicle mold so you can attach them later to your rock or wood base. You get a real neat effect when you pour the resin over the cast carrot after it is on the habitat. Key is to let it start to gel just a little and slowly let it drip down. It will take a little practice and its kinda fun. I would use the clear casting resin and get an extra bottle of catalyst. I also did the cotton ball pulled and dipping method. Gives you a different looking icicle but takes alto more time and patients. Check out the molding and casting site there is some stuff about icicles on there. This is where I learned how to do it. It's really not as hard as you think it is. I'll try to post the ones I made on the rock I mounted a lion on. They were so realistic I couldn't keep people from touching them. Now I have 2 more to do but now I'm looking forward to doing them.

9. big o

big o New Member

PA

but wot the envirotex yellow

10. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

big o, Use clear casting resin and you won't have to worry about it yellowing.

11. big o

big o New Member

PA

did you get the casting resin from McKenzie

12. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Yes, But you can get it from any major supplier. Just make sure its the the clear casting resin.

13. big o

big o New Member

PA

OK thank you bearB8

14. updated with pics

15. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

hot glue that sucker on to temp hold it in place mix a small amount of your clear casting resin and brush it on around the base/ice cicle junction and let in run down the icecicle and drip

16. Thank you very much know i just got to get a hot glue gun :D again thanks.

17. hey could i also use some 5 minute epoxy to hold it in place ??

18. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

you could use chewing gum to temp hold it in place if you want :p What will hold it and make it look like it is frozen to the limb and melting off is your clear casting resin blended into the limb

19. OHHHH ok i got ya thanks