1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

5th deer please critque

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by D.W.M., Mar 2, 2009.

1. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

This is my 5th deer. Had a heck of a time with it because there was a chunk of brisket missing that I had to repair. Almost not mountable.

2. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

More

3. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

finished or still wet?

4. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Still wet

5. rj9289

you might want to groom it really good before it dries

6. I would raise the ears a bit, not the butts but the ear position. Looks a little droopy. Bottom lip may need to be tucked a little more also, quite a bit showing, keep it no wider than the bottom of the nose pad. The right ear butt is out a little further or not as full as the left. ;)

7. rj9289

im not liking the ears, it may be the way they are drooping like dsbragg said...
    to me they resemble mulie ears

8. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

i agree with the others...the ears are throwing it off. maybe lifting them to where they follow curve of the beam would make it flow a lil better...thats just a suggestion though

9. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

I fixed the lower lip thanks. I agree with you all on the ears, I am going to see what I can do. I put a bag over the head because it was getting late last night. I used ear liners with butts and I am having trouble getting them to do what I want. Maybe I'll put a rod in the ears and try to hold then in position while it dries. I think next time I am going to go with clay ear butts. Thanks for commenting.

10. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

I am having trouble getting both ears exactly the same :-\ But this should be a little better.

11. I think that looks better. :) I would go to clay for your butts, more control like you stated.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Dave, the ear butts need a foam shim/wedge under them to get the tips raised, I bet you breakfast that that form had flat sides at the butts.

13. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Paul, you have work to do! Step away from the computer.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Brian, tell Steve I need one of his hanger brackets, the tang. And yes I wll step away soon.

DAVE! Where did you get this form? There is no back to the head or ear butt area, theres your problem!

15. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

How fast do you need one?

16. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Van Dykes Jody Green form. I actually liked the form. But I used the Vandykes ear liners with the butts and they blow IMO. I should have known better I used them once before. I wont use them again they kind of flair outwards at the tips of the ear. It looks stupid from the side view. Thats what I get for trying to save a couple of bucks.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

~Grin~ I been there, done that,,LMAO.

18. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

After everyones advise I did some tweaking on the ears.

19. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

yeah i know the liners your talking about and they blow for sure, i switched to the epply buttless liners they give you more freedom have you used them yet?

20. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    I think it looks pretty good especially the ears since you tweaked them. Good job