1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blood stains

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Hoss0902, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

what is the best way to get blood stains out of feathers? I am getting ready to work on a Hooded Merganser and there is a blood stain on his hood.

2. H2O2 pour a bit on it and when you do the fianl wash a bit of Iron Out from the chemical dept at walmart. a couple capfulls int he water will remove the stain.

3. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

by chemical you mean the cleaning supplies right

4. mountman

mountman New Member

Iowa
    make sure and use COLD water too or you will set in the blood on the feathers

5. Hoss0902

thanks

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Scrub it with Dawn and a toothbrush. If you bleach it without scrubbing it first you may very well end up with gummed up feathers that will refuse to act right.
    You probably won't have to bleach them at all.
    I never had a problem with warm water setting blood stains. I think it needs to REALLY be hot for that to happen, as in - too hot for your hands to endure. It would also be very dangerous for the skin at that point.
    Warm water shouldn't be a problem and it cuts grease a lot better than cold.

7. warm water and tide with downy laundry detergent.all my birds go through a bath after skinning and prior to be put in my freezers.i wash with dawn after degreasing.

8. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I have been testing a product called White Brite and so far no ill effects. Anyone use this product with bad results.I like it because you can add to the water as opposed to squirting Winks on the feathers directly.You don't miss anything this way!

9. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

I was told never to use warm or hot water ??? I always use cold

10. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Warm water and dawn soap and the stain will be gone.

11. imo, you were told wrong.

12. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

ok

13. Hoss0902

Where can i find White Brite and or Winks?

14. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Wmart

15. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I was told the same thing when I was learning. Now I wash my birds in very HOT water and never had a problem.

16. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

washing in wram or hot water only goes for birds?

17. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Hotter the better...with birds that it is... ;D Make your first wash 5 minutes or less and scrub like heck to get out the blood stains out. I think the longer you leave the bird in the wash the first time around, you will more likley yellow the feathers a bit. And even if you do, 40 volume peroxide will take care of that problem.

18. jrclmn18

jrclmn18 New Member

Iron out does the stuff. Its good for all. We used to use it on our jerseys in college and never showed a stain. Those things are pricy and couldnt have a spot. Wouldnt trust anything else to get the dirt, grass and BLOOD out of anything. It works great on birds and is cheap. WMart or any other grocery store should have it in their detergents.

19. Hoss0902

Thanks Guys and Gals. I used iron out and the feathers on the head turned out great. Ill post pics later.

20. Try good old Windex, Disolves the blood, works great on antlers as well. Very cheap and you do not have to order it , and pay shipping.
    Gregg