1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first shoulder mount pics now

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by gahuntinfool, Mar 5, 2009.

1. just got in been a long day no finsh work has been done so may stiil be able to adjust

pic 1

2. pic 2

3. pic3

4. pic4

5. and 5

6. I see a lot of stuff in your shed
    one thing I don't see is reference material
    your eyes aren't right needs to be shape more like a almond nut
    your ear butts are to long
    this is just for starts

7. Kevin AL

Kevin AL New Member

PM sent

8. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

the first thing that jumped out at me is the long earbutts, they are twice as long as they need to be, if you shorten them, it will give you some slack in the cheek area and allow you to reshape your eyes to the proper shape. You should have blown up 8x 10 pics of the eye, nose and earbutt area on whatever your mounting, but especially whitetails, as they are a staple of a taxidermists income. Invest in some good reference and have another look at your deer, i think you will see your own problems. For this being a first mount, you did alright, but they will get much easier and look much better in the future. ;)

9. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

did you use earliners or bondo and if you did use earliners what are they because i have seen some other mounts that earliners are used and the ears come out different like with a sharp point at the end just curious as to why they look the way they do

10. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

the sharp point in the ears could be from not turning them all the way to the edges. both your eyes arent symetrical, ones higher than the other.
    before you do the other deer (forms in the background) ...do as others have said, study your references.
    each mount will get better and better, as long as you dont repeat your mistakes.

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

All the advice given is good. I couldn't add anything.
    But not bad for your first. Like Russ and Shed Ego said, from here on out they get easier and better.

12. Kevin AL

Kevin AL New Member

Actually, I was just giving him some camera tips. Hard to tell what any mount really looks like with the "in your face" camera shots.

13. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

as a beginner so many times we make our ear butts bigger and longer than they have to be i saw a trick and it might help you. first remove some of the foam from the manikin where the ear canal will go about 1/4 in or 1/2 inch deep and set the bottom of the ear canal in that hole and fill the rest in around it with clay to form the but that will keep it from being to long use a long pin to hold it in place, and for the size of the butt when removing the ear but take a chunk of clay as big as the ear but just removed and put it away in a plastic bag then use that amount only for your butts and it should be close you will get better the more u do

14. thank ya'll I do see alot of the problems now, gonna see if its too late to make any changes