1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FIRST COYOTE

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JEREMY TEDROW, Mar 5, 2009.

1. JEREMY TEDROW

JEREMY TEDROW New Member

HELLO EVERYONE. NEW TO TAXIDERMY AND TO FORUM. I READ FOR MONTHS ON HERE BEFORE BEGINING WITH COYOTE. THIS WEB SITE IS GREAT AND THANK YOU ALL. I WANTED TO POST THIS AND SEE WHAT YOU ALL THOUGHT. I HAVE A COUPLE OF RACCOONS TO DO BUT WANTED TO SEE WHAT I COULD IMPROVE ON. THE EARS ARE OFF MAINLY BECAUSE GLUE DID NOT HOLD ON EARS. NOT SURE WHY I USED EARLINERS AND GLUE FROM VANDYKE. WHEN IT DRIED INNER EARS CAME LOOSE FROM LINERS. I ASSUME NOT ENOUGH GLUE OR WRONG TYPE. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

2. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

cant see the pics

3. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

the eyes are pulled up too high, like they are stretching so bad that the skin is covering up the eye at the bottom

4. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

X2 the top eyelid should touch the pupil IMO keep at it, it gets better as you go

5. rj9289

reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference reference....get yourself some pics of some coyotes, and look at the eyes, this will help you out a ton if you will study them as you go. Good Luck, and keep at it!

6. rj9289

[​IMG]

hope this helps

7. Ryan, do you think he should've used reference? Maybe we should tell him to quit yelling at us also. :-\

8. rj9289

theres nothing wrong with reference! the more the better

9. Maybe it's over kill, but to correct that ear issue you are having, I cut a little square of wire mesh, form it to the inside of the ear and then staple it there. When it dries, it ensures that the ear won't separate from the liner before the glue dries, and then when you are done just pry out the staples and remove the wire mesh. Groom it all back to niceness, and vualah.

As for the eyes, did it look that way before it dried? Or did it get that look to it after it dried?
    If it looked that before, you might want to consider really making sure the form fits, and revisit your references, because that isn't the right eye shape. If it looked good before (you studied your eye references and it seemed more accurate) and then dried giving it that pulled back look, I prevent that by pinning around the eyes (inside corner, outside corner at least) so the skin can't move around as it dries. From what I can tell, skin tries to shrink as it dries... in really specific areas it can give you a hard time every now and then.

Outside of all that, check the ear placement references, that's a tough thing to get right with yotes. The body looks pretty good, but of course it's always the worst trying to get that face looking right, good luck!

PS: Just so you know, some people don't like it when people write in all capital letters. Personally I don't have a problem with it, but to others it comes off as trying to be loud. Just thought maybe you'd want to know and turn the Caps Lock key off. :)

10. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

you also my consider investing in the beakthrough mammal manual, you can get it through any of the big supply companies as well as through breakthrough. There is a lot of useful info in the book for the price you pay for it. Keep at it, it will eventually come naturally.

11. now that I'm looking at it more it looks like you didn't place the eyes right, not that the skin was your problem but it was incorrect tilt and placement of the eye.

Good luck and keep us posted!

12. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

you can still rehydrate it if you want. just place a wet paper towel over the eyes over night and it will be workable by morning. Depending on how dry it is the clay work my need to be replaced though. I re hydrated the eyes on a fox 3 times before I got them close but they still are not perfect.

13. oh. Got it. Okay, yah know what I like to do? Take a pic of the mannequin prepped with eyes and clay and everything before I actually go and mount the thing. Just helps afterwards to sit back and figure out where something may have gone wrong lol. :)

Jseiler had a great tip about going back and rehydrating those eyes, redo them, and this time pin them, looks like you have a bit of a tight situation to begin with. have fun!

14. rj9289

haha Bonnie (Allistair), he didnt catch it.

15. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

Did you mount the Treerat in the second pic under the coyote. Just curious cause the eyes look the same as the yote

16. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Here is an illustration right from the breakthrough manual that I like to go and look at while I am setting the eyes in a predator. I just enhanced the lines (changed the color) so you could see them better on screen

[​IMG]

Also if you are looking for some awesome reference photos contact Phil for some of his dvd's http://www.alaskanorthtaxidermy.com/

Alaska North Taxidermy
    Phil Wilson
    PO Box 874713
    Wasilla, Alaska 99687
    (907)376-6149

here is a nice reference site dedicated to coyotes as well http://www.all-creatures.org/aw/coyote.html

17. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

the hair alignment on the left leg needs to have the white on the inside of the leg taxi it around to the inside if its not late everything else mentioned