1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Roman 555 ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BIG_RED, Mar 6, 2009.

1. BIG_RED

BIG_RED New Member

2. sean997

sean997 New Member

I use it as is and get the muscle detail i want everytime

3. countryview

countryview New Member

dextrin

4. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

what???? Drummed after a month? Something aint right about that. I use it straight and THe only areas I have ever had drumming using that stuff I didn't get paste on it very well.

5. sean997

sean997 New Member

Same here Harley. If the form is raspped then I dont have any problems

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

That could have been multiple issues besides the paste.........skin too thick, skin too tight, form not rasped well, too much or too little hide paste. Generaly speaking doesn't matter what hide paste you use if you don't want to card low areas you need to put the skin there and go over it daily to make sure it stays where it's suppose to untill the glue tacks up. I usually taxi for a day or so and then once it's to the point I can't really move the skin much then I will card and deep recesses.

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I use it straight and have no intentions of ever changing to anything else. I like it better than Michael's recipe partly because I don't have to add anything and I don't have to pay shipping for the added stuff. If you don't get MP's thick enough, it will drum.

8. here is how i make it.
    1 gallon tub of clay based Roman
    1 cup elmers type glue
    4-5 cups of dextrin
    ? high fibe to get the consistancy that i like.
    4 oz of a taxidermy bacteriacide.

I got this recipe from Manny Chevaz

9. I use romans 732 and mix dextrine with it

10. bucktales

bucktales New Member

I was wondering what kind of working time you get with Roman 555. I just bought a gallon to try in the morning. I may add a little Coombs hide paste to thicken it up some. All I've ever used is Hilton's hide paste and let myself run low so I'm not sure what to expect with Roman 555.

11. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Roman 555 VOV is as good as any....straight outta the bucket.

12. Becky P

Working time - mine is still workable the next day, sometimes 2 days later. A lot depends on humidity.

13. bucktales

bucktales New Member

Wow, thats what I was hoping for. I don't set the world on fire when I'm putting one together and didn't want things setting up on me before I got it all done. I feel much better about it now. Thanks
    Buck

14. Matt

Matt New Member

You had drumming with it? I'm sorry if I find that hard to believe as I have used it for a few seasons now with NO drumming what so ever. You do not have to mix anything with this adhesive, it doesn't need anything, just brush it on and use it. I have used around 30 gallons of this stuff already and I hope they never quit making it.

15. Becky P

Matt, I did have a teensy bit of drumming on one but it was my fault, it was a really tight fit through the front of the shoulder/neck where it dips in. I injected some 555 in that spot and carded it, it stuck then. ;D

16. Matt

Matt New Member

With anything that doesn't fit, I can see drumming, but you can have that with any adhesive if the fit isn't right. I love the stuff, it works well for alot of things in the shop. I use it on the backing on pedistals, plastic liners, and one thing I have found is it plumps pheasant waddles great and gives them a nice full look.

17. Becky P

That's why I said it was my fault ;) I love the stuff. Have enough for one more deer then I'll have to go pay full price.

18. 10PTBUCK

10PTBUCK Member

wi
    WHERE CAN YOU BUY ROMANS 555 ? THANKS

19. Matt

Matt New Member

I get mine at Sherwinn Williams. Hey Becky, don't you know any contractors? You could hook up with them and get their discount, that is what I do. I just picked up 10 gallons for 180.00.

20. pandy175

pandy175 New Member

Does it work on northern deer, if you don't have really thin hide?