1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Let's see your beetle set up.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Matt_S, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

I have been curious on all the different set ups of everyone's bug box and was wondering on getting a thread going so everyone can post some pictures. I know some have posted pictures here and there I think if we can get them all in one thread it would be nice to see them all. Plus it would be a good reference for the new folks to see all the different ways. So lets see your set up even if it is a small aquarium or some massive custom build. I will get some updated pics of mine this afternoon.

2. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

Well here is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Colonel

Colonel Missouri River Rat

I'm jealous, That is really nice. I only have a 10 gallon tank for the time being...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Hey guys check this one out, why dont you post to it and bump it back up:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,60043.0.html

Matt your tank is almost too nice for bugs!! Real nice setup!!

5. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

here are a few links I found
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,117669.0.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,119453.0.html

6. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

Matt I love the stickers on yours!

7. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

The Dog, I have been threw every page in this forum and can't believe I missed that one.

Ed, I got bored one day and decided to decorate the bug house.

8. Mine, 3 colonies

9. Matt S - What a professional set up!!! I really believe how your workplace looks can influence how you feel about working in it. Does the rest of your shop look as neat? :D

CMN - I like yours too.. very simple and clean cut.

10. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

Bonnie, My skull room is also my vinyl room and also my reloading room. And its not very big. I am trying to get it all organized right now so I can actually work in there. All the reloading stuff has been put away so that saved some room. But once I start getting more and more skulls going, I am going to run out of room quickly and overflow into my wood shop. I have too many hobbies.

CMNBONES, is that a large 3 basin sink. That works outs great.

11. My cleaning and degreasing setup is in one room heated to 80 to 84 degrees. when I am busy the beetles will be cleaning 6 to 8 large whitetail skulls at a time and I degrease up to 16 at a time. No extra heaters to mess with. The room is lit with a red light that is bright enough to work in there and it does not bother the beetles. Prepare the skulls right and all you will smell is the dish soap.

12. Colonel

Matt S Do you do custom vinyl for fellow bone heads??

13. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

Sure do. I have done a few jobs for taxi.net folks already. Will work for anything I can use.

14. Colonel

I'd like to have one of those euro whitetail stickers for my old pickup's back window. Eventually maybe some stickers to make a sign..

15. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

That would look pretty neat with a couple Euro mounts on my tailgate. My back window is getting full.... lol

16. chewbacca

chewbacca New Member

I'm planning on setting up a chest freezer much like the ones I've seen on this and other threads. Everyone seems to be using an external reptile thermostat to control their heaters ($40). Anyone see any reason you couldn't wire in a cheap household thermostat on the inside wall of the freezer ($12)? I've never messed with either so I wouldn't know.

17. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

That is what I used. I wired it to the light socket and put a ceramic heater into the socket.

18. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

You sell on EBAY? found this $3.99

19. Yes it is a large 3 basin sink, Galvinized steel painted with epoxy paint. I got it free about 20 years ago from Camp Ripley military reservation. I wish I would have taken more. There is a lot of uses for them like minnow tanks and parts washers.

20. Colonel

Mr.Ed what kind did you use? I am about to build a freezer and was checking prices this morning and I hate to spend so much on a reptile thermostat. I'd much rather use something a little less expensive.