1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lighting For Painting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fesekula, Sep 14, 2006.

1. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

In my fish painting area of my shop I have fluorescent lighting and was thinking about switching over to the bulbs that simulate sunlite for a better color balance. Any pro or cons on the best bulbs for the painting of fish. I also only paint during the day to get some natural lighting.

2. Monty

Monty New Member

Hi. I asked this question once on here and what I came up with was full spectrum lighting. You can achieve this by using both a warm and a cool light in your current fixture. You can also add incandescent light by using the Sylvania 'Daylight' bulbs, which simulate outdoor light. I am currently using both. It also helps if your walls, ceiling and floors are a lighter color, which I found out in my old shop but have not had the time to correct in my new one. I have also heard of a new type paint which has phosphorescence or 'glow in the dark' pigments mixed in. It is designed to lighten rooms such as basements etc. which are difficult to light. Hope this helps and good luck!!

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Are you getting ready to rumble yet Monty? :D

Started fishing the trout out of the pond tonight. Pulled out a goregous competiton quality brown of 19 3/4 inches and 5 lbs. 4 oz. No brookies yet. Tomorrow I will start harvesting trout and bass in earnest.

Frank, I only paint in the daytime when I get natural light through the windows. I also don't believe in too bright of light as the fish can look too dark when the customer takes to home to typical home lighting. I'm also a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) kind of guy so I keep the lighting siimple with florescent shop lights. Just my opinion of course.

4. Gary

Gary New Member

When I built my new shop I put a lot of thought into lighting and decided the best way was a"full spectrum"fluorescent bulb.They where about twice as much as a regular bulb but well worth it in the long run,Gary

5. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

Thank you Monty and Gary I will give the full spectrum and sylvania bulbs a try and cecil you are 100% correct on only painting in the day time. To all three thank's.

6. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

GE sells a full spectrum light which is labeled Sunshine on the cover. They're available in most retail stores. I use these in conjunction with "reveal" bulbs in droplights in certain areas when I'm detailing. Seems to help. When all else fails, I head outside and the truth is told as Cecil said. For the little bit of money invested it's certainly worth trying different ones to figure out which ones truly aid you in seeing "the truth". Peace. Jeff F.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm not real familiar with "full spectrum lighting". I'm guessing it is what it says though - lol! My feelings on this subject are to replicate what my customers will be using to light the room their fish will be in. That being said, I'll bet nearly 100% are using some combination of soft, yellow lighting and natural lighting with absolutely no flourescents (blue light spectrum) being used whatsoever.

I also like a lot of light where I'm painting. Maybe my eyes are getting bad, but I can't see what I'm doing w/o it - lol! In fact, the only times I've ever gotten too dark with my fish were when I didn't have sufficient lighting. Everything looks too dark with poor lighting and you tend to compensate for the lack of light. I'd much rather know for certain where i"m at with my fish with some good lighting.

Since I recommend to NOT place the fish in direct sunlight (as most do), I don't even like a lot of natural light. Take a fish outside and look at it vs. looking at it in a well-lit room. Big difference. And most people are going to hang their fish in a room, not outside - lol!

I use to hang shows for artists at Art Galleries in college. One of the best ways to get good light w/o refelctions is to bounce it off the walls/ceiling. Of course you need to have white walls to do this.

Replicate what lighting your customers will be using and you won't have any color issues...

8. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

Fishart, you make a good point about most customers not hanging their fish outside but sunlight will sometimes show you a little spot you might have overlooked in a more natural lighting. That's been my experiance anyway. If I can discover that spot and correct it then I feel I've done what I can to create a better end product.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Wildchild - oh I almost always take a peek outside just to see anything that I may have missed as you stated. But I always paint for it to be displayed in my display room with average lighting. I did a largemouth replica for a lady out in Delaware recently and the fish looked great in my display room. Once outside however, it looked too "limey green" and very fake looking. I was actually amazed at the differences! I'm not sure how it would've looked (inside) if I painted it to look good outside. But you understand what I'm saying.

10. DaveT

DaveT "But with God all things are possible"

Frank - go to Walmart buy the full spectrum/natural lite flo tubes and get some of the natural lite bulbs. Using in cobination gives a pretty goos attempt at natural light.