1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sealing Skulls and Antlers?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Ryan Miller, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Ryan Miller

Ryan Miller Guest

Two Questions.

First what is generally used to seal a european mount skull?

Second, what is used to seal antlers?

2. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I use krylon matte on skulls and rub Antlers and Horns with olive oil then wipe dry to remove residue. Its organic and seals lightly. Horns may need blowing with an air hose to remove lint.

3. Question for you: Why would you want to seal the antlers? If they need a little color back because they have been sitting outside in the elements, rubbing them down with either WD 40 or linseed oil works great. If they lost all their color then you will have to re stain them. We use woodstain for that. Other then that, we do not seal antlers.

Skulls can be sealed with any clear wood finishing product like Deft. I would choose the matte type over the high gloss, unless you are looking for a shiny skull. It can also be sealed with Elmer's glue mixed with some water or modge podge. Again, I would use the matte modge podge over the glossy one. But that is personal preference. :)

4. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Try Mop-n-glow floor wax. It is really nice.

5. EastonWest

EastonWest What we do in North Dakota, STAYS here.

i always use a coat of clear gloss that i get at my local hardware store. It comes in a spray can, goes on easliy, and dries fairly quickly. Gives the skull a "shiny" look which is really attractive to the customers.

6. DTSkulls

DTSkulls Member

i tried the elmers and water mix..dont think i did it right. What kind of elmers to water ratio is recommended? I think i used too much water