1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

has anyone gotten a big canada goose

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

by big i mean near 20lbs i was out hunting today with some guys(by the way got my first goose today ;D) and the biggest they have seen was 18 lbs. do you guys have any pictures of them i would like to see how big they really can get.

2. Tork

Tork Save the Tundra - "Kill Whitey"

In my opinion, (whatever that is worth?), a wild canada goose will not get 20 pounds. Tundra swans are commonly 16-22 pounds. People don't realize how big 18-20 pounds is for a goose. You hear it all the time but I highly doubt there are any 20 lb wild Canada geese out there. I have reliable sources that have shot Giant Canada Geese in Rochester, Minnesota in the 17 to 18 lb class. I have seen one 17 lb and several 14-16lbs in my 18 years of goose hunting. I have also shot a few swans and just can't picture a Canada Goose getting that big.

3. I got one that was 14.5 Ibs two seasons back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RMW

RMW New Member

Theres been a thread going on the RefugeForums.com for 3 or 4 years now to produce one over 15 for a dozen decoys. A guy from SD finally won it this year with a 15.02 or something. And people on that site kill ALOT of geese throughout the country.

Alot have claimed to kill one thats 18+ but cant ever seem to prove it. Pictures dont do anything justice. you can make a 5-lber look huge if you hold it right.

5. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

This is funny, I was just reading my new Breakthrough and read the Canada Goose reference article by Glenn Browning, he stated ranges of weights in the article and stated that some can get over 20 lbs, I remember the thread on the Refuge bout it and just took note,.... about it, I have one on my wall that weighed 16 plus lbs at the time I mounted it and that was after being in the freezer for over a year

Old picture of it, I mounted him a fews years back but here he is, for whats its worth i used a fish scale to weigh him

[​IMG]

6. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Heres onr a guy brought me to mont . 20 lbs and some od oz,

[​IMG]

7. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    The two biggest geese I have ever seen were shot by my Brother and my Dad. They were each right at barely 16lbs. on a fish scale. Those were taken probably ten years ago now. The biggest I have personally harvested was 14lbs. These were all HUGE looking.

8. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

my largest is 51 pounds...... ok not really. did some goose tagging and trapping in college in my wildlife classes and only had one over 20 pounds..... out of the probably 200-300 we caught that week.

9. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

hey jeremy thats the article that got us guys talking lol. i asked these guys if they get that big and they said no way. i wondering if the person that wrote that article ever saw one that big.

10. RMW

RMW New Member

Im not doubting that there is "freak" geese that actually get that big. But Im saying its not as common as some people think.

11. late season here in michigan you can get them close to 20 ill pull one out and weigh it tomorrow
    Danny King

12. Tork

Tork Save the Tundra - "Kill Whitey"

I'm sure there are some genetic freaks out there tipping the scales at 18-20, but extremely rare. I see 3,000 -5,000 geese harvested anually and not very many break the 14 pound mark.

13. nate

nate Active Member

I had a guy bring one in that he said was 17lbs. I'm thinking 15 or 16 tops. I guess I should have weighed it. The thing was just a monster!

14. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The biggest one I have mounted has been 14.5 lbs, and that was freakin' HUGE, especially for the western subspecies. I know that the eastern ones can get even bigger but if I never have to do one that size it won't upset me too much. :p
    Maybe I should price them by the pound, with a penalty for any that go over, say ... 12.5 ? (not likely that I would do it, but it's nice to imagine)

15. dbmickle

dbmickle New Member

Agreed... Has anyone ever heard of the Paul Sullivin Big goose contest on the refuge hunting forums? It started out at 18 pounds and went down a pound every year. Someone finally won with a 15.02 pound goose. Thousands of people weighed their "20" pounders, only to find out they weren't. Like RMW said... Not saying its not possible, Its just not as common as people might think

16. the one in the center is 14.5 absolute monster, took three 3 1/2" #2's at 20 yards directly in the chest and glided a hundred yards before kickin' it 5 minutes later. next heaviest was 13 he was a beast to. never even seen anything this big before. thats a full size wired hair pointer standing on him so you get the idea of size
    by the way all you guys shooting 20 pounders where do you get the mannikins for such a big bird? ;D
    [​IMG]

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Biggest 2 I've killed were 17 and 15, and they were together. (I assume local geese that don't migrate) Usually a big one is 12, sometimes 13 lbs.

18. Honkerguide

Honkerguide New Member

OK guys, I am the guy that was running the contest on 4 different websites for a big goose. The contest ran for 4 years and started with an 18 lb goose and went down 1 lb each year to 15 lbs before someone won the contest at 15.02 lbs.

A wild Canada goose has a wing span of about 6 feet if it is a real big one. That wingspan can't produce enough lift for much more than 15 lbs unless it is just for short flights. The reason you hear about 20 lb Canada geese is because back in the 50's there was a captive breedng program that was started in response to the reacquiring some Maximus subspecies that were thought to be extinct. It was through this program that these geese were fed a special diet and kept in inclosures, that allowed them to get to 20 lbs. These geese were eventually let go and there are documented reports of hunters shooting these geese.

Now, here is what happens when you guys shoot a 17 or 18 lb goose. You get a fish scale and weigh the thing and report the weight. Well, during the course of this contest, I had numerous communication with guys that thought they had the big "one". I always told them to go get it weighed on a cerified scale before they sent it to me to be officially weighed. They would always report back to me that it was indeed not as heavy as they thought!!!

Since the contest, there have been a lot less reports of geese over 15 lbs because most of the guys are realising that most scales are really not all that accurate.. Paul

19. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Thats why I said I used a fish scale, I have often questioned its accuracy. That goose I have posted on page one does have a 6' wing span though

20. hardwood_hd

hardwood_hd New Member

i shoot the big birds in the early season in sept and they are all resident birds, but i never got any over 20lbs.. 17 was my biggest