1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you advise for first mount?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fishnfule, Mar 8, 2009.

1. fishnfule

fishnfule War Paint...Mom thinks it's paint LOL

It's probally been asked before but I can't find it. I'd like to start doing some mounts and wondering what you all would suggest as the best animal to learn on? I started on a coon, but either my hands are too clumsy or I'm just not gettin it, so I ended up just tanning it in the end. I'm going hog hunting next weekend, other than the shield, is a hog fairly easy to mount? I'd really appreciate your opinions and advice. Thanks...Jeff

2. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    i think that would be a good experience for you,the sheild is not that bad .

3. Hogs intimidate me, never tried one though. I started practicing with coyote. Getting the eyes and ears right is difficult, more so than say a coon.. but because it's a bigger animal that might help get some practice into those "clumsy hands" of yours :) (maybe the coon was too small, it's tough gettin the smaller animals mounted). A coyote pedestal would even be a good choice. After that, the first time I ever practiced on a deer cape I was very surprised as to how forgiving it was... and relatively straightforward the whole mounting process was... I started with a doe cape.

4. axel

axel Member

Go with whatever you can get your hands on. Back when I started out, I think I went through five squirrels until I got one actually mounted. they were the easiest thing for me to get my hands on so when I screwed up, go out and get another. Also supplies were cheap. My first squirrel was mounted with a coathanger, sawdust, clay and steel bearings painted black. Not much of a loss if it didn't turn out.

5. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

ugh, evil tree rats.
    My first was a coon at school. It was a lot of fun but I didn't quite grasp skinning the feet to the toes, but then a friend gave me a small bear to work on and then it clicked for the feet and ears, etc. Deer are awesome to work with. Coyote are a great size too and I can't wait to get mine back to finish rugging it! Squirrels suck, they're too small... I've done four now and I hate them, I don't ever want another one! lol! I did a mink, it turned out ok, but again, I just don't care for critters that small.

6. axel

axel Member

I agree, squirrels do suck. But you can mount them with everyday stuff around the house and if you screw up, toss it out. If you can mount a squirrel, it just makes Deerheads that much more easy.

7. fishnfule

fishnfule War Paint...Mom thinks it's paint LOL

Those little toes are what get me right now. Thinkin the hog might me the way to go, ordered the video from WASCO, and as ugly as those things are most people don't seem to look at them long enough to notice mistakes.

8. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Try to mount something you have access to. We all make mistakes and the more specimans you have around the better practice you will get. Just don't get so frustrated that you give up. By the way, Welcome to the worldof taxidermy.

9. What do you like best? Do whatever you want to. My first mount was a whitetail shoulder mount. . . just because that's what I had. Dont' worry about what critter you start with, just look at plenty of reference photos and dont' be afraid to ask questions.