1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

antelope horn removal

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by after the shot, Mar 8, 2009.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Hey guys, I just had 2 pronghorn dropped off to mount and I need to remove the sheaths. The issue that I have, is that they were shot in August and the skull caps were just put in someones garage. I do not boil. I prefer to spray a little water in a plastic bag, throw in the horns, tie up, and let nature take its course. I did check the archives, and boiling and macerating are a couple choices for dried on horns. Will the old plastic bag trick work or should I take a harsher approach? I suppose, I could drill a couple of small holes to help the moisture penetrate. Any thoughts?

2. You can simmer them, not boil, for 30min and they may slide off. If not then slide them in a bag and they should come free within a couple of weeks. If you don't want to simmer, soak them in water over night then bag them.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Hope that will work for oryx horns also...I have a set that are bone dry, and need to come apart before I mount it. I plan to soak them for several days, then bag.

4. Joey, I have two sets of oryx ( Scimitar) that I just got the horns off of that were dry. Soaked them, bagged, and it took two weeks. A little warmer here though, but they will come off. ;)

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

We're in the 80's this week...I bet it won't take long here either.

6. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Thanks guys. Just the info I was looking for.