1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

customer will not call me back to pick up bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fireduck, Mar 8, 2009.

1. fireduck

fireduck Member

I had a customer who dropped off a turkey he was getting it mounted for a kid he took hunting. Well I finished the bird and called him to let him know it was ready.. It has been 2 weeks and 6 phone calls and still no answer..

What should I do? Hang it up and use as a display.

He has only paid me half .. I'm clueless.. I Know I cant get rid of it.. But How do I record this if he still does show up.

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Send him a certified letter.

3. fireduck

fireduck Member

after I send the letter and what if he does not respond after that.

4. sell it

5. I have a gut like that right now. I'm just waiting to get the letter back. Then it will be sold. It's a deer though.

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Follow the protocol outlined on your invoice, according to your local laws and state laws. If you send any documentation, save copies. In this day and age of poor business manners AND touchy economy, sometime we learn to be more patient than ever before. Possibly using this mount for advertising might help you more than the balance? Maybe contacting the young hunters family instead might help. I wish you well!

7. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Two weeks? Are you sure he is avoiding you instead of him being out of town. You may want to give it a bit longer before you get nasty with him. I often wait longer then that for customers. If you know he is avoiding you though that is different

8. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

yeah, two weeks is nothing especially if he is vested.. give him some time... maybe be on a trip, may not have the money right now, may be any sorts of things.. Taxidermy is unfortuatnely a "back burner" item from a lot of folks these days.

Now two months.. Okay.. I might start getting ancy..

Two years.. yeah, I'd probalby sell it.

Jon~

9. Rob,

If you think about it.....turkey season isn't that far away!!! Ya might tell him he has until opening day of season then it would become a great decoy !!!!!

Just Joking I wouldn't do that with a customers memory....at least this season, but next year may be a different story !!!

Sankey

10. fireduck

fireduck Member

Thanks all.

Thing about it is that I called him a month ago letting him know that I was getting ready to work on it.. Just went to voice mail.

I'm not upset all about it.. Right now I'm OK with it because I can use it for display.

I didn't think you can sell it..

I will call him once a month right now wait 2 or three months then send him a certified letter ..

Be patient I will be!

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Yep, if you can, let it ride, with this economy, allot of people are jobless. Park it, and give him all the chances you can stand, then another 90 days, if you can float it.

12. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

I agree, two weeks and your feakin? Heck, I have a set of Canadas in here for over a year. Mycontract states, after 30 days, 30 dollars a month storage, after 90 days, their mine. A lot
    of folks are laid off now, and dont have the money. I had a bass done for a guy sence last may,
    he came in three days ago and paid in ful, in cash. Give him time.l

13. shammy

shammy New Member

fireduck-----check your state laws, I know you cant sell waterfowl per federal regulations, I would use it for display with turkey season coming up, 2 weeks is not enough time, you need to send him certified letter so you can prove he got the information. Then follow the law, per state and federal. customers will usually pay you last because mounts are a luxury not a necessity. I always will give the customer the benefit of doubt. I haven't been stuck yet, buy felt close twice. After all he has paid for half. I think he will come pay, he just needs more time. And besides the public thinks all taxidermist make a killing, money wise.hahahaha good luck, shammy

14. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Give him a little while, and keep callin him....

Is it possible to pay him a house visit if he does not answer the phone??? As a last resort of course.

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I normally wait close to a month before I send a letter just in case they are out of town, but when I do send it I tell them that they can make payments and pay it out, it just can't leave until it's paid in full. As long as they are willing to pay something on a reasonable schedule, I'll work with them, even if it's just 5 or 10 bucks a month. On several occassions this has made the difference in them getting their piece or not. Usually they'll make a payment or two and then come up with the balance especially after they have seen it finished and want to get it home.

16. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have started calling them before I start work on their mounts for just this reason. Of course, I'm not brave enough to come right out and ask them if they still have a job, so instead I tell them that a lot of my clients have decided to have their mounts shipped so that they don't have to drive out here. Then I tell them that I am starting work on their mount and just wanted to check in advance so I can know how to set it up. (I do things a little different if I know I will be shipping a mount.)
    This does 2 things: It reminds them that they have birds being mounted and it allows me to make sure that their contact info is still good.

I agree with everybody else: Give him a month before you send a certified letter.
    I "ate" a strutting turkey mount last year, so it does happen sometimes. I was able to recycle the form, the base and the freeze-dried head, plus I saved the beard and spurs for my collection.
    Incidentally, I also found out that I mount a very sturdy turkey ... oy vey, that critter was hard to tear apart!

17. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

That's a great way to handle things. I will call or email a customer before I begin work too. I usually tell them it is just to go over poses or habitat or whatever to make sure we are still on the same page. That way I am sure my notes or reference pictures are accurate and they haven't changed their minds. Then I make sure all contact info is correct and give them an idea of when it will be completed. That way they know ahead of time when to have the money ready. I haven't ever had to wait more than a couple months. When I did have to wait that long the customers were always honest with me and I could understand the situation.

Give your turkey kid a little while and keep checking back with him. Hope it goes well.

18. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

i do kind of a cross between nancy and nwwings, whenever possible i e-mail pictures of the mount when it is mounted and posed and hung up fresh and add a note asking if they are pleased with the pose so if there is anything needs changed it can be done, as soon as the pictures are sent i call to let them know that i just sent them the e-mail and to let me know right away what they think and if there are any changes (with-in reason) they would like made. this lets me know that their contact info is up to date, and keeps them involved in the process and kind of gets them salivating to get the piece back so they are already tring to prepare for the call that it is finished or if there is a problem then almost always they will be be up front with me and tell me and i let them know to be sure and tell me when they are going to be ready for it to be finished so i am not spending any more time finishing a piece i am not going to get paid for right away. we are in a bad economy right now but in my experience people are still willing to spend the money for their pieces it just may take a little longer to get it.

19. Tax money will be comin in soon. Maybe hes waiting for that