1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition. UPDATED PIC! Look again

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by antlerman, Mar 9, 2009.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Jody Green form. Let me have it!!! I have thick skin!!! LOL

[​IMG]

2. costco man

costco man New Member

Re: What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition.

looks very good to me, the wagon wheel kinda draws the eye away from the deer, but I really like the Idea. Doug

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

I find the opposite, the wagon wheel centers the eye in on the deer.

I like it.

4. antlerman

1 1/2 votes yeah vs 1/2 vote nay OK! anybody else???

5. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

get rid of the tall stick looking plant on the deer's left. looks like the skin is bunched up a little under the throat patch. It looks rough there. Get rid of one of the rocks. Everything is too even. Always use things in odd numbers.

Other than that, it is a nice, clean piece..

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I think the wheel frames the deer nicely. I like it.

7. costco man

costco man New Member

I didnt say, I dont like , its a very good looking mount, but I find myself focusing on the wheel. Doug

8. Re: What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition.

LOL i was about to say that, but get rid of the tall one on the left and the plant on the far left move it where the tall plant is standing , but turn the plant so the way the plant leans is in the same direction as the deer is turning creating a flow. Have your habitat move with your deer not against it ;) also i think i might know what people are going with the wheel being distracting, add some moss on the wheel and see how you like it. The wheel is brown and so is your deer you need to break up the color a bit i think.

9. Re: What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition.

I love the idea.

I dont know about adding moss to the wheel, you might accidently overcrowd the area directly behind the deer, I wouldn't do that...unless it was used very sparingly, maybe to help with the flow of the items in the foreground.

I do agree with Brush and MB, Odd always! Things in odd numbers are generally more aesthetically pleasing than those in even numbers.

I see what you where going for.. though, not everyone will agree with me, but you want to create the illusion of symmetry, without actually making everything symmetrical (as you have done, with your too exact placement of stones and vegetation). Use the actual movement of the deer/form itself to dictate where the vegetation should go (with regards to that one tall element that would look nice on the piece). Currently You have tall elements, medium sized elements, and short elements spaced too predictably (exact symmetry, both sides look almost like mirror images of eachother), break this up, you can rebuild the symmetry by staggering the way you build it, it will also look a great deal more natural (like the way a larger bushy thin linear object will hold a seemingly simmiliar amount of weight to the eye as many smaller thin elements put together - that idea might help you build symmetry without actually making thing too exactly symmetrical and unnatural).

I think the word I was looking for there was Balance, LOL.. took me a while to get it on the tip of my tongue. Balance! Without exact symmetry. Unless that's your thing. :)

You could stray from symmetry if you like, Like I said the deer has a good deal of movement to it with that turn, so if you want to do something really interesting just go with the "Flow" on that. I do have to say I like the flow of it currently, it sort of draws the eye in an oval/circle... which is very nice.

10. antlerman

Okay i made some changes. what do you think now?

[​IMG]

11. Re: What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition.

Looks better

12. Re: What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition.

I really do like it now.

The wagon wheel, is a great ideal, nice piece....

I like Michaels impute on the using odd numbers, kinda make sense....

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

much better

14. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

Rock me mamma like a wagon wheel rock me mamma any way you feel heeeeeeaaaaayyyyyy Mamma rock me....

Looks good.

15. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Much better!! Thats pretty cool!! I like it!

16. antlerman

Old Crow Medicine Show!!!!! Bob Dylan: oh yeah!! Thank You EVERYONE!!!! Amazing how much many sets of eyes are so much better than one. Obviously the deer will have to stand on its own merit, but the presentation Always helps, so thank you everyone with the presentation HELP!!!

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You guys better keep your day job.

Remember, a diorama with a mount can NOT add to your point total, but IT CAN TAKE AWAY.
    There was nothing wrong with the tall stick that was taken away, what's wrong is there isn't enough going on in that diorama. Look at the wheel. It's embedded in a rut with green grass (moss) growing over it. BUT IT HAD DEAD THINGS STICKING UP. The wagon wheel looks fake (it is) and you need some LIVE vegetation there to offset the starkness of the dead wheel. I'd suggest a briar of sorts or perhapes a grapevine. It LOOKS like the antler is in velvet (I hope that my screen isn't just showing them fuzzy) and if so, you need late summer plants back there. DEAD THINGS signify WINTER and a deer in velvet and winter aren't synonymous. I think the wheel is a novel idea but I wouldn't allow it to dominate the piece like the starkness of it is doing now. Sage brush, sedge, long grass, anything to subdue the contrast would help while still having it center your deer as the focal point.

As for the deer, it looks pretty good. The eyes are "sleepy" and you're likely to take a ding on eye shape. The left front leg brisket is a bit overcentered. I don't see any texturing on the nose, though that might be because of the flash in the picture.

18. antlerman

George, thank you for your input. It appears I need to add some text here to help clarify what you are seeing and then would appreciate your rebutal on it. Perhaps Flash I don't know, but the deer is hard antler, but was an Oct. bow kill. (not in velvet at all). Nose Texture; I don't texture my nose pads anymore, I tool them. Thin layer of clay under pad and tool the pattern. YES, it is much more suttle than building up, But I like them that way better myself, Because I'm able to get better paint results with my flesh tones in my pad area due to the depth where I've tooled.
    Brisket?? I double checked and is about as in line as could be. Note that it is an offset shoulder so maybe it's the angle of the pic. Now, I do like the briar idea!! Oh and yes the wheel is a FAKE!!! lol The eyes; You may be right About the shape!!!LOL Remember, I threw away my eye cheater tool!!!! LMAO The sleepy look? RElaxed! I hope so!!
    The grasses are moss. There isn't a rock. Thats what I refer to as Tundra moss or reindeer moss but funny thing is it grows in Kentucky and looks like that ALL the time. The rest is just floral moss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some color added for FALL! Now is this any better???

19. Brando24

Brando24 Member

I Like it.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's still empty for my liking. October doesn't have red leaves around here, not sure about Kentucky. I know about reindeer moss as my land in South Carolina is covered with it. But you have a wheel abandoned in a field of peat and reindeer moss. I'd have a hedgerow weed curtain back there with heavier concentrations on the edge of the diorama. Perhaps I'm just invoking personal opinions now since I love the concept and just don't like the composition. Good luck.