1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition. UPDATED PIC! Look again

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by antlerman, Mar 9, 2009.

1. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

there are plenty of plants around here that look dead or alive all year around so i dont think that should really matter, i like the wagon wheel!

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Ok George I can take constructive critique and I appreciate yours and everyone else's input. I will go get some hedge vines tomorrow and play with it some more. Did the new pics clear up some things or do you still see an issue with the nose and brisket??

3. Cygnet

Cygnet New Member

Utah
    love the wagon wheel!! the fall leaves kind of distract the eye from the deer. I would take out the tall,dead stuff and put vines/hedge type brush intertwined around the bottom of the wheel and going up one side of the wheel. It's a great idea and I'm sure it will end up looking awesome whatever you chose!

4. antlerman

Thank you everyone. Some good input and I will play with it more tomorrow.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I HATE to say it ;D but I agree with George. I liked the sticks on the left side that were moved. It looks great now, but all it really needed was some color.

6. everyone is giving you advice and some good advice but if your not getting judged on habitat don't get to cared away
    it's starting to look like a flower box
    you have a nice idea nice artistic values keep it up

7. toaster

toaster New Member

It needs litter, an old beer can, some shotgun shells, and candy wrappers., Here is where comp separates us deer builders from artist.

8. strutinh

strutinh Member

try putting those tall weeds behind the wheel on the right side

9. The prominant color on a deer is brown, and the prominant color on the wheel is brown, try adding something to the wheel to break it up a bit.

[​IMG]

10. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

I like that idea... to me the tall weeds seem to be competing with the deer.

11. antlerman

Brushy, U THE MAN!! Thanks buddy. Headed for the craft store. Going to get some vines and stuff and rework it a bit. Will update later. Thanks EVERYONE. I will say I like the beer can, shotgun shell idea!!

12. NWRIGHT

NWRIGHT New Member

Would someone have to include the names of all people who had something to do with the mount? I dont do competitions dont have time, but i just wondered this.

13. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

i don't think he would have to list the names but if he takes a ribbon he can start his speech by saying i would like to thank all the little people LMAO ;D ;D

14. antlerman

The mount is all that is judged. It has to stand on its own merit. The input here has been on composition which is only to help the overall piece more eye appealing. Go back and read George's post earlier in this thread. And yes I THank ALL the BIG people. It's just an idea that I'm playing with concerning the wagon wheel, as the base for the diorama. Has nothing to do with what the deer head will score.

15. erik1

erik1 New Member

I would like to see the tall plants on the left side of the deer like they are behind him. The deer is looking to the left(if you were the deer). I think this will draw your eye from the deers face backwards towards the plants and the wheel. With the plants on the right they are drawing your eyes to the right side and away from the deer. Try and keep something short on the front right corner to balance the whole thing. I am seeing the same thing that Brushwolf is. Can't wait to see it up close in a few days!

16. antlerman

Ok all you taxi doctors, I did surgery on him. What do you think now?? Is he going to survive the war zone??? He's ready for combat!! LOL Thanks to EVERYONE!!!!! This has been FUN!!!

[​IMG]

17. IAwhttail

IAwhttail New Member

Not a quite a taxi yet myself, but when I look at your first two pics my eye is busy searching around at the habitat. In your latest pic with the wheel spokes being more subdued, my eye is drawn more toward to the mount. Much better I'd say.

18. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

I think it looks better than the first attempt, But there's somthin just not right about those tall weeds, Cant put my finger on it our tell you how to change it but they just look....... stuck in there. Not natural. I like the vines, It adds something to it.

19. jstady2002

jstady2002 New Member

I would weave those taller weeds in through the spokes, or find something else that looks like grass growing between the wheel. Maybe put some moss on the spokes, or break a spoke and make it looks like its been broke for a long time. I do not care for the red plants either. Depending on the hair length, maybe consider a snow scene with some snow and ice on the spokes.

20. I gotta say I like it a lot more now... but there is something tugging at me about the red dotted thing.... they add a great deal of beautiful red color that is contrasting very nicely with the green of the moss, but the way they've been strewn about might seem too messy to me. of course if it was too even it'd look unnatural lol.. anyway great job so far!! lots of improvement, I'm liking it. :)