1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you think?? Whitetail for Competition. UPDATED PIC! Look again

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by antlerman, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

WHOA, I just now saw the new addition. You added that red dotted thing after I posted right? It looked lots better the other way. Looks to busy now.
    This is the problem of asking about habitats, Everyone has different likes and dislikes. ;D

2. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

if possible,put a solid row of broomstraw grass between the wheel and backboard.i love your "theme". looks good!

3. I think I would stain the wheel a darker color to add more contrast to the mount...maybe add something aside from red berries to accent coloring....cattail reeds would be out of place...maybe some greenery like bush fronds????

4. there's something about the uniform and sweeping way the red berries (or whatever they are) are distributed around the piece, that makes it seem a lot less "Busy" than I would have imagined, you know what I mean? Like if you only had half of what was up yet concentrated in clumps, it would be busy, but somehow by putting a lot in the same concentration around the piece it sort of tricks the eye into seeing it as a very regular texture/pattern. I could be way off on that though, I have a problem of when I stare too long at something my brain starts to contradict how I feel about it. The only negative thing I see in the red dots is it could be misconstrued as messy, and I have NO Idea what type of plant that is and how it would normally appear in a natural habitat, sort of bushy I'd imagine... but with the dots a little farther apart from eachother maybe? (I guess that might mean less branches, but spaced out as evenly as you have it now? I dunno..)

antlerman, I think what you are doing is EXCELLENT. Try something new, take a picture, then try something new again, take a picture, etc etc etc, repeat repeat repeat.. then give yourself a couple days break from it all, and revisit the pictures with fresh eyes... see which one you think adds the most interest or compliments the mount without detracting from the piece.

5. Homestead

Homestead N.E.A.T BOD

Anybody else notice the ground nest? Red berries are a nice touch I like them but personally there may be to many. I was out in the woods trying to find some a couple of hours ago.Habitat is tough your trying to catch a certain second in that deers life. I am just starting with habitat myself so mine is just an opinion.

6. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

is that one of them wagon wheel boxes made by that fella in missouri? i saw him selling them at a booth at the missouri show. I like the latest version of it, but have to agree with george on your nose pad, it doesnt seem as built up as the real deal to me. I think it will score good though. The winner in the whitetail div. at missouri used that same wagon wheel base, and he is also the guy i was refering to that i think is building them. Of course i am sure there is more than one guy building them out there LOL :)

7. I noticed the nest. :)

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Yes Russ you are exactly right. Curt Shahan is a friend of mine. I'm the antler replicater that had the tables in the middle of the supply room. Year before last I got one of only two blues there, and last year I didn't bring a head and Curt won Best of Cat. Pissed me off. Just kidding!! But this year at your show I'll be gunning for CURT!!!! LOL We have an ongoing competition between ourselves!!! Makes it fun!!

9. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

are you in masters this year then? i think with last years win, i was told Curt was being moved up to masters ;) i think he just needed that one win to be bumped up. I was the guy with the Hunt of a Lifetime booth in the corner by Curt at last years show. ;D I thought that looked like one of his wagonwheel bases. I liked them then, and i like them now ;) your peice looks real good. What show is it going to first?

10. IAwhttail

IAwhttail New Member

I agree. He added more of the berries to the the habitat along with the nest since I posted earlier and replaced his third pic. Seems too busy/full now. I like the version you had this morning better. Do you still have a pic of it in that state to compare?

11. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

I like the way it's looked in every pic

12. antlerman

No Russ, I'm still in professional. I haven't won a best of cat. like Curt did. (the dog) Three years ago I did have the locked horn mount, half lifesize coffee table. I did compete in Masters with it there. It got a second and third. In Illinos one MUST get 3 blue ribbons ANd a best of catogory to be put in Masters. Which I do think is better. Curt got one blue ribbon and best of cat all in the same year and now he MUST compete with James Graham, Devon Imaluka(spelling) and so many other great whitetail taxis there. Curt's not ready for that level yet any more than I am. At least in Ill. when you do get there your wings are more developed. The masters level is refered to by many as the yellow ribbon catogory. Only the TRUE masters can blue in that division.

13. antlerman

Funny about the nose thing. The head is back on the stand just going over things again and I agreed and built the nose up some more among a few other things. This is a customers mount and I've had more fun with it than anything I've ever done strickly for comp. All the habitat playing around has been fun. I just put things on it for reference, looked at it awhile, tooks a few pics and posted a few for others to get involved, which has made this a lot of fun for me. I've listened to everyone's suggestions and input, and I've followed advise and I think this has been a fun learning experience for me and hopefully for others too. This is no where near the stress I would normally put on myself doing an all out comp piece. Normally I would use a replacement nose, altered form, open mouth, meder eyes, primo cape and spend weeks on it. NOPE, not this year. This one goes out the door the day aftyer I get back home. But, I can tell you I've had more fun with this than ever before. In conversations with others about competing I always feel that by competeing it helps me learn and improve on my everyday customers mounts. When I do something like this I sort of put my theory to the test. I've had fun with this and this is my play time. I'm a full time taxi and get bogged down with work, so this is my vacation and fun thing for me. I hope others have had fun too.

14. Wow,

That piece really looks awesome now...

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I like it much better now, but I'd lose the bird nest - it's fall/winter, not spring ;)

16. Bird nests just don't disappear because the bird is done using it. They are all over the woods in bushes , trees, etc. in the fall. I'd leave it.

Bruce

17. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

True, but there are eggs in it. At least lose the eggs.

18. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    Anyone else notice the wolves sneaking up on the birds fighting behind the nest off to the left of the rhino sunbathing on top of the dead lion skull?

19. I think the eye lids are a bit heavy on top. The pics you posted are for habitat judging or overall appearance? Believe me, you won't bring home a People's Choice Award with that display. It is too basic and doesn't depict anything out of the norm that would draw people to it. There will be other mounts that are simply so different and appealing that they will be the ones that become the people magnets and even at that some of those mounts, although eye appealing, don't always score well.

Those pics posted so far are of almost no use to anyone offering help on the actual mount or possible corrections you could make prior to entering competition to improve score (other than the nose padding issue). Pictures taken by most cheap cameras are the worst thing to ask opinions on when colors might be an issue and good reference photos are your best critique at this point in the game. If you want a critique on the actual deer...ask the judge when he is done scoring it. He's the one that will be poking and prodding and looking at it with a flashlight and magnifying glass. Although the piece looks clean, I don't think you will place Best in Show or Category with it either. This is only my opinion, which isn't worth that much. Judging can be subjective to a degree. :) Some shows are judged pretty hard, while others are "less stringent" or "more lenient" (whichever way one wants to look at that statement).