1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition pieces being done at seminars/schools???

Discussion in 'Training' started by RDA, Mar 9, 2009.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL I see law isn't your forte. Cheating at taxidermy is much like plagiarism. "Everyone knows" it's illegal, but in fact, it's not. It may be unethiical, despicable, detestable and insulting, but the "cheating" that's being beat to death here (a guy doing a piece while under direct supervision) isn't going to ever be heard in any courtroom without the complaintant being threatened with having filed "frivolous litigation". Ethics is best defined by what we do when no one is looking. Each of us has to answer to self-imposed standards that, sadly, are universal. This post needs to die its natural death.

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Obviously law isn't my forte, I spend my day playing w/ dead stuff. I would assume, since you do as well, it isn't your forte either. Cheating in an event that has cash prizes is the same as stealing. Just like cheating in a bass tournament, u get caught and you get "cuffed and stuffed". ...and I'm not talking "self imposed standards", I'm talking blatant cheating, like entering a peice that wasn't done by you.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Cole has the best intentions, and in spirit. George is right in practicality though. The best youll get is once a cheating situation is caught, the competitor is removed from the membership. Thats about it. The state shows are dying slow deaths due to lack of interest, negative people and the economy, so not much else could be done. It always comes down to conduct and policing ones own.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't disagree, that is what would most likely happen. Despite what George believes though, prosecution is an option, and one I personally would like to see exercised. I hate cheaters, and thieves and would want to see them punished, but that's just me.

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

Lots of show these days offer cash prizes for best of this and that...When the money level reaches a certain point, it becomes felony fraud....This goes for taxidermy shows to livestock events to bass tournaments....all that is required is proof..... One of the reasons shows struggle is due to this problem at least according to those Ive talked with BECUASE there was no repercussions to obvious BS....Ive seen LOTS of instances over the years which can only be considered shady at best....Judge/competitors trying to influence other judges,,,,competitors having other members influence the judges,,,,pieces being entered that were not done by that person or under DIRECT supervision till completed,,,wholesale mounts being entered under the purchasers name,,,heard judges talking about how there would be no champion in that show (befor judging it),,,so on as so forth.... This turns off more folks from competition than just bout ay other reason .... jmo.. :D

6. George

Cole, your problem is that you're just as damned hardheaded as I am. "Prosecuting" takes one helluva lot more than "caught cheating". Lawyers don't play that game. Sure, you can SUE anyone you'd like, you can even file a complaint if you want. You may even convince some young cop to arrest someone, but PROSECUTE is a whole nuther world. I haven't led a sheltered life and I know a bit about a whole lot of things. Prosecuting someone accused of cheating just ain't happening in today's world where the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury didn't bother paying taxes until he was caught AND THAT WASN'T PROSECUTED.

Ron, your comments are simply "hearsay". I've yet to meet anyone who didn't ribbon admit that their mount wasn't worthy of a ribbon. Nor have I met anyone with a blue ribbon who didn't claim their prize was justly deserved. Money in taxidermy competitions is a two bladed sword. On one side it encourages the talented to go above and beyond, but on the other side, greed and ego drive some to the dark side. Remove the money from the equation and you clean the shows up. Remove the money from the equation and you'll see the shows DRY up.

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

George, I saw two bass fisherman be arrested and GO TO JAIL for felony fruad it can happen....

8. George

I saw a frog jump once without bouncing on it's ass. It CAN happen.

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

nu uh.... ;D

10. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Just out of curiousity, is this a new record length for a thread in the training section?? George, you are hilarious!

11. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I saw a chupacabra...TWICE

really it was probably just a mangy dog, but then it might have been a chupacabra.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Let me guess, the other participants in the tournament did not have to hire a lawyer. I assume after the guys were arrested the prosecuting attorney took it from there, and they stood trial. Huh? Sounds about right. George, I'm only hard headed when I'm right, which is admittedly most of the time. ;)

13. RDA

RDA Active Member

actually that is exactly the way it went down....Both served terms in the pokey fines and of course life long bans from fishing tournaments.... ;D Upon seeing the crowd at the weigh in, me thinks they realyy wanted to go with the ofiicers.. ;) ;D

14. George

And Jimminy Cricket was right; fairytales do come true. Ron, since this one seems to be documented someplace, shouldn't be too much trouble putting names on those guys would it? You two are grasping at straws now. We're talking about TAXIDERMISTS, not guys winning a boat, motor, and trailer. As I stated earlier, you two have managed to take this argument to absurdity. I'm done. You two continue to live your dream.

15. Lets see who can throw the next biggest fecey at the other now. ( yes i know i spelled that wrong.)

16. RDA

RDA Active Member

George..... last name of on of them was BUNDY ... plumas county california lake almanor bass tournament may and now im guessing but I believe it was 1989.... Reno fisherman Tony Cecchi was the one who found the tied up fish on docks and buoys in a certain area on lake almanor...He then clipped thefins of each fish he found which was a seven fish team limit all smallies in the four to six pound range... I knew Tony personally and was informed during the pre fish day of this as were many others.... They WERE CUUFFED AND STUFFED right in front of my eyes as well as the rest of the crowd at the weigh in.....George, I guess Ill just have to start calling you out every time you post now eh this is the second time ol buddy and Im sittin here wondering why.... ::) Not that ill loose a second of sleep over it but,,, your gettin a wee rediculous.... :D

17. And Ron Anderson throws the biggest fecey yet , what will happen now. :eek:

Stay tuned after a few short messages.
    "Obama Wow " get yours today.

18. RDA

RDA Active Member

bushy,,,,RESPECT YOUR ELDERS.... Hey George, do ya want me to send y a pay stub from aa so yaknow I really worKed there too??? Oh,, I now give Larry and Kathy a call theyll verify for you I gave them tours during SCI many times over the years.. ;D Kathy and myparrot have shared a moment or two as well..... ::)

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

About time, yay, I win.

20. RDA

RDA Active Member

wheres the love baby!! It was a team effort!! ;D ;D