1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition pieces being done at seminars/schools???

Discussion in 'Training' started by RDA, Mar 9, 2009.

1. RDA

RDA Active Member

Im really not so suprised that this goes on so much...I was lucky to start into competitions in a totally different manner...I can see the lure of getting ones ego stroked with a blue ribbon, which is not a bad thing, it means you care...BUT gaining a ribbon with out the lesson of self accomplishment must be a hollow one.....Instructors who encurage this type of behavoir are doing nothing but attempting to pad their own reputations as teachers, but in the end, prostitute themselves.....

I have always told seminar students that I never wanted to see a seminar piece in a show, and INsisted that they go home, do another piece soon so the lessons would remain. Most went home did that and then entered their own piece and won more than just a ribbon, the won the satisfaction of knowing they got it, and can go forward without hesitation...And, they all thanked me for doing it that way.....

2. KStovall

KStovall New Member

I have been influenced over and over, it was still my ability to perform the required function that got the ribbon...do I do better now of course. The instructor was there influencing others....they didn't get the same outcome should they ask for a refund? I can stand over my wife's shoulder all day and point out little things, big things things, and things she never would of guessed about but bless her heart she still cant make those birds come out right. If I hire you or the 10 best in the world to watch me and make pointers in how I do my piece, as long as you aren't touching my piece to ME and its just my opinion it is mine and I did the work.
    My last competition piece I odered a tape and copied the exact way Ronnie Gaillard mounted his WhiteTail. His tape was playing over and over, rewound and played again during the process Does this make me a cheat?

3. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

If you don't have the ability to do the work on your own, it is not your work. And I never said anything about a cheat. If you are after a ribbon, you do what makes you feel better. Your work is YOUR work, not the other ten working through you. That is my only point.

4. KStovall

KStovall New Member

I guess we just disagree on what makes something someones own. Because those same 10 couldn't get my wife a blue ribbon. To me that is the difference. A group of us hired our kids a hitting coach for there ball team. He's there instructing, influencing and critiquing there swing every day, but come competition or game time they are doing there own swinging he never touched the bat. Some are hitting much better some well..........Now if he was up there batting for them and I was going around telling folks my kid hit 5 homeruns then thats wrong. But because my kid is now batting 30 points higher than last year I think maybe I should be paying one these Whitetail Gurus to set there and make me better while I work.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

The batting coach helped them with their PRACTICE swings . Not the swings they were taking during the game. Thats the difference.

6. KStovall

KStovall New Member

You really believe he didn't help there GAME swings????

7. Mason

Mason Active Member

Was he standing behind the batter between him and the catcher whispering in his ear when the pitch was thrown???

8. KStovall

KStovall New Member

I guess I haven't put out what I'm trying to say well.
    I think I can teach almost anyone to do Taxidermy. By that I mean I can take the average person and teach them to do a fine commercial piece. I cant teach someone to be an artist. That to me is what makes the difference in a competition piece and a commercial mount.

9. KStovall

KStovall New Member

No he wasn't and he wasn't standing there during practice either.

10. Mason

Mason Active Member

You know what I meant.

He showed them and taught them before the games. Then the kids TOOK WHAT THEY WERE TAUGHT, and competed.

11. KStovall

KStovall New Member

Lets say me and you were both taking a class from RDA on birds. When were done our birds should look identical? Because it was his hand guiding us both. Even though he never touched the mount.

12. KStovall

KStovall New Member

We also are going to be guaranteed blues because he's one of the best? This is my argument. You are probably 100 times better than me and its because of your artistic ability not my lack of. RDA can't take my bad work unless he's physically touching my mount and suddenly make me good.

13. Mason

Mason Active Member

Not at all,

But if he was my instructor for that bird. If , I couldnt get the eye to look just right. i would ask what I was doing wrong. If he was instructing me. he would tell me. Thats the part that makes that particular bird partially his work. I need to learn from that bird. Take what i learned and work on a bird OF MY OWN and compete with it.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Suppose Stovall and Mason didn't take any classes from Ron, just winged the bird done and competed against each other. That would be fair.
    But if they both took lessons from Ron and competed against guys that did their own research, they would have the advantage, even if Ron didn't touch their mounts.

15. Mason

Mason Active Member

Zactly Paul,

Even if your instructor didn't touch it. He had influence on it. By telling you what was wrong and explaining how to fix it.

16. KStovall

KStovall New Member

Your still not doing your own. Your doing what he taught you, whether it was then or now. I can take my bird home and copy exactly what he showed me or even if I bought one from him and then went home and copied it. Your selling yourself short. if you can take what someone tells you and make your hands do it...then that impresses me. Not many can. That is why people lie, cheat and steal because they can't.
    As I said earlier there were 5 total in my class why did we not all score the same and receive the same ribbons?

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Would you have done as well,, if you never took the class, and taught your self?

18. KStovall

KStovall New Member

Mr T I too did my research and apparently better because I found out Ron was one of the best and he taught me the right way to mount my bird. I did better for my piece. I passed my (better) work on to my customers.
    Should my kid not compete against kids who didn't get extra BP. The opportuntiy is there for both my son was just fortunate enough to have received the better training.

19. KStovall

KStovall New Member

Of course I wouldn't have done as well. And I assume neither would have the other 4. Are you saying we should have a different classification for those who were self taught? Is it supposed to be more gratifying becasue you were self taught.

20. Mason

Mason Active Member

If you could honestly go home and reproduce a bird exactly the same as you did in class. By yourself. THATS the one to take to competition. The one without the babysitter.