1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition pieces being done at seminars/schools???

Discussion in 'Training' started by RDA, Mar 9, 2009.

1. KStovall

KStovall New Member

You could have Todd Huffman standing on top of me poking and prodding and I couldn't compete against THEBIRDLADY. She is more artistically inclined than I. This is were we just disagree. If I did hire him to STAND behind me and tell me step by step what to do its still me doing the work. If not my bird would look exactly like his and trust me they don't.

2. Mason

Mason Active Member

;D Yes Sir then,

I will agree to disagree.
    I shared my thoughts. Thats all I was after. Not wanting to cram it down anyones throat. I dont agree with your thoughts on it, but respect them.
    Good luck with your comp pieces.

Mason

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I think this is getting silly. Simply put, some folks worry about this stuff, others just dont. Either you got it or ya dont. Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. Just beat them anyway, itll then become a moot point. I teach plenty of guys, some will win, many will not. All will better themselves...not because of me, but because they sought help, to improve. Hey you guys, believe in yourselves, and kick butt! I wish you all the best.

4. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

I believe opinions are different than what RDA is talking about as long as no one lays hands on it. If you take a seminar it is not ethical to take that piece to a comp .

5. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Sorta like a best ball golf tournament. One thing I know for sure - the winning team cheated!

Nobody has mentioned the evil influence of suppliers on this process! (New worm can)

I'm pretty appalled at how much I agree with George, except his judgements about our business as a whole.

This may be equivocation, but I don't have much of a problem with a novice entering a piece completed at a school. What's the big deal? There's no money involved. The fact the piece won a ribbon doesn't detract from anyone else winning a ribbon. I don't know of any school situation where the instructor does the actual work. There would be no point to that and the student would get nothing out of it.

In most cases the purpose is to hang a ribbon on the wall and help jumpstart the business a little. If any of you give your customers the exact same competition quality that you carry to the shows, then maybe you have a beef. I don't know anyone who does that

I also know many of the top dogs get advice and opinions when doing a competition piece. Nothing wrong with that either. I worked in a shop where 4 of us were competing and number of blues and BOS awards were won. The 89 point red opened the winner up to good natured scorn and derision and "told you so's".

But we never laid a hand on the mounts that weren't our own. The bottom line is you mount it the way you think is best.

6. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

When I was competing it really didn't matter who helped who or how much they "cheated". If the judge was knowledgeable and fair and if I did everything like it was supposed to be done my piece was still competative. "Collective artists" usually get in each other's way. I could care less if the rest of thecompetitors help each other. If I can beat them it makes me feel better about winning. Lots of times I had to ask myself the question"who did you beat?" Sometimes your fellow competitors are extremely good. Then a best of show feels deserved. It sucks to do all that work and win by default.