1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WHAT THE BLEEP AM I DOING WRONG!!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hounddoggy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Mounting a buck.took measurements off of deer with hide on as always.71/4x20x23.ordered form.i was going to dp.decided to tan.salted for very short period.THINNED ENTIRE HIDE.Pickled for 4 days.brushed on jrts.test fitted form(64d7120l).doesnt even come close.went to mckenzie today.traded it for a 64d7119l.prepped form pulled hide on AGAIN,WAY TO FRIPPIN BIG!!I know dang well i didnt loose 8 inches.i know the salt hurt me but that much?heck i only salted a few hours!my teacher was right there and we measured it together! should i expect to loose 5 inches from tanning every time? If so it isnt for me! I pulled and pulled!It aint happening.I called my teacher and he said it was the salting and pickling.He said all i can do is soak in cold water for a few hours to try to get moisture back in the hide.The hide IS thin and is leather no doubt but to shrink this much?I was told the particular form "runs big" but man,this is a nightmare! ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT I MAY HAVE DONE WRONG?PLEASE DONT SAY THE MEASURING WAS OFF,I ASSURE YOU IT WASNT.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

::)
    Your teacher is not a tanner. I think you told us that.
    The salt did not hurt you, if any thing, you didnt salt long enough.
    Somewhere along the line, you got bad advice, or didnt follow good advice, but trying to tan once and failing doesnt make tanning bad.
    It probably wasn't that big to start with, all fresh skin lets out, and stretches like crazy big, it's easy to get the wrong measurments on a fresh skin over stretched..

3. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

i AM RASPING THE HECK OUT OF THIS FORM...............Guess thats all i can do huh?

4. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Make your teacher rasp it. ;D

5. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

I trim with a saws all, then rasp, but I'm lazy.....or smart?...nope lazy!

6. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

THANKS,STUFF! WHEN I CALM DOWN THATS WHAT ILL DO!

7. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    am i reading this correct does that mean you measured over the hair

8. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

There are 6 basic steps in tanning ! Rehydrate (soak) if skin is dry , scour (wash degrease) if necessary,pickle and shave , tan , oil , drum and finish or mount, I have tanned and mounted lots of deer ,moose,elk I have never had a shrinkage problem that it would not fit on a form ,some I did not even shave as thin as i should have except for the face of coarse! I use lutan for tanning I am not familiar with the tan you have used? I salt and pickle all my hides and is a very important part of tanning . so I do not believe that the pickle is your problem . I think maybe you did not rehydrate the hide enough to get your stretch back, did you oil it enough?

9. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

That is how I read it, also Jason. If so then your measurements can be way to big, depending on the length of hair.

10. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Like Brian said, I read it the same way. Could be a part of your problem. There are guys that can measure over the hair and get the right form every time. There are guys that can't do it. I always measure my deer after I take the hide off and measure the carcass. Seems easier and more accurate. Make sure you order the form that is right on your measurement or an inch smaller. Usually an inch smaller seems to be the way to go. Good Luck. Dan

11. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I measure my deer after they are mounted, just for kicks. In my area on late season deer they are typically 5" larger than the form. Early season are generally 2" larger.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've never EVER measured a deer that wasn't measured "over the hair". That has zip to do with this issue. Most likely it's the pickle. Did you neutralize it properly in SALT WATER? You may have acid swell or the hide might simply not be neutralized enough to begin with.

13. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Let's assume all tanning was done correct ! Run some warm water and shampoo with Pert and rinse well. Then run more warm water in your sink and add a cap full of fabric softner. Let it soak for about 20 minutes and spin in the washer. If it's a short y stick one arm in from the brisket and one arm in from the neck and see how much it lets out when you pull your arms away from each other,or sweat it in a plastic bag overnite then do a test fit. I bet it will let out IF everything else was correct.

14. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Yep, I didn't read anything about re-hydration before the pickle or neutralizing after the pickle...

15. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Well, I guess that's why it's not good to assume that these steps were done. Dan

16. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Hounddoggy...perhaps you should stick to DP. Tanning is apparently beyond your capabilities.

17. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

This is one of reason that I use KT to preserve my mounts.....Been there....... Done That............

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tom, now I've sworn off bad mouthing KT, but you invite being trashed with a dumbass remark like that. Even a KT hide can, will, AND HAS SHRUNK HIDES IRREPARABLY. Any home tan is an invitation to Murphy's Law. If someone wants to be SURE that their hides stay viable, then they'll use a reputable PROFESSIONAL tannery to do it for them. I've never, even once, had a problem with JRTS OR with LiquiTan. I've used ALL the others on the market today and I won't say that about ANY of them, but I know that it COULD happen to all of them and my choice as well. I tan deer and hogs in shop, all the other big game goes to the tannery.

19. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Here was the process I followed.Complete fleshing,salt(only 3 hours)some say thats where i messed up.Seems to me salting would cause shrinkage.next i pickled with ultimate acid and salt per instructions.I took it out of oickle to thin once.after 4 days in pickle,I neutralized with cold water and baking soda per instructions.I DID NOT ADD SALT IN NEUTRALIZATION STEP.I dried in a towel then brushed on tan.I let it sit for about 45 minutes then put in fridge overnight.I have measured MANY deer.I wasnt alone in measuring the one involved.I raspped down the form,pulled like heck and made it work.I will say that after mounting nearly 75 deer form 64d is a tough one but it looks really good.I WANT TO TAN!!I dont want to use dp.I hope you guys can tell me where i goofed.My teacher said expect it .salting and pickling WILL shrink a hide.I believe when done correctly it isnt the case.I really thought i followed the instructions to a tee.NO, I didnt "rehydrate" I assumed after pickle i simply neutralize(20 minutes 1spoon of baking soda to a gallon of water) i mixed 3 gallons.I did check ph daily.IF I CAN PROVIDE ANYMORE INFO THAT MAY HELP YOU HELP ME I WILL DO SO.I LOVE THE JRTS I USED.THE HIDE WAS AWESOME.I KNOW I MEASURED CORRECTLY AND I LOST 2 FORM SIZES AND IT WAS STILL A FIGHT.64D IS A BIG FORM BUT STILL.................

20. Salt 3 hours--- Not a problem

Not Soaking the hide in slightly salty water before pickleing (rehydrading)--- A Problem

Pickleing and shaving --- Ok

Neutralizing with NO SALT----- MAJOR PROBLEM>>>>

Tan... Well Can't help you there cause I've never used it.

Home tanning---- VERY Expensive learning curve.

Advise of Taxidermy.net forum members telling you to "SEND IT OUT" ----- Priceless.