1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Poll which is the best Taxidermy mag.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kycooner, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Breakthrough

44 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Taxidermy Today

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

we will do it the democratic way,, Vote,

2. bowhunterq2xl

bowhunterq2xl Hillbilly pride runs deep

Both are great mags.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Your poll question is too narrow. Should have a third choice "equal".

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

In not the politically correct kind of guy JL, and I think the only thing those two magazines share is that they're printed on paper using black ink. Taxidermy Today is more of a nuts and bolts magazine for the commercial taxidermist. Most of its stories tie directly back into the advertisers who sponsor it. Breakthrough has always been the Lexus of magazines aimed at the ooh's and aah's of the very finest work possible in taxidermy. I challenge any one of you who read this now or ever WILL read this to tell me that if you had an exquisite piece, WHICH SINGLE MAGAZINE WOULD YOU DIE TO MAKE THE COVER OF???

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I need all the help I can get, so I get both. It would be the Breakthrough for me George, But I WILL die before I get on it, instead of to get on the cover of it.

6. Exactly-- nothing wrong with it though. Normally everything comes to stop when the Breakthrough shows up. ;)

7. Breakthrough hands down. I used to subscribe to both magazines just to see how they compare. I dropped the subrscription to Taxidermy Today after one year. To me it was nothing more then a catalog version of individual ads for the suppliers. Not much useful info when it came to mounting techiniques, casting, form alterations, etc., but all about newest products and trying to sell them. That is just my opinion though, so take it for what it is. :)

8. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Uncle George, I couldn't agree more. The bombardment of advertising influences in Taxidermy Today make it a very distant second in my opinion. Breakthrough stands alone. The cover of Breakthrough for a taxidermist is comparable to the cover of the Rolling Stone for a Rock Star. What an honor.

9. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

I'm with Superpig with this one and I also have subscription for both magazines. I still buy sometimes one number of TT to see if it has improved,but have to say that breakthrough subs is all I need...

10. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

I would go with Breakthrough also, Been receiving it for 2 years and love it, I got Taxidermy Today as a requested Christmas gift this year, it is OK but to much advertising listed.

11. I find both to be great magazines that relate to differant arenas of taxidermy. As uncle George stated TT is a nuts and bolt magazine with emphasis on commercial work, you know what pays the bills for most taxidermist. While Breakthrough focuses on competitions and the aspects of taxidermy that most dream of and hopefully aspire to. I doubt i could pick just one cause they really are in differant classes/venues. I get both and can't wait for my next issue regardless of which magazine it is.

12. I have to put my 2 cents in on this one. I voted for Breakthrough. You are right G. It is the magazine to get your photo on the cover of.

There is also another reason why, or could be another reason why, the articles are night and day between the 2. Taxidermy Today does not pay or compensate the writers that contribute to the magazine. This is one reason many of the articles are advertisement or product based. On the other hand, Breakthrough pays the writers for their submissions. I think the quality of the articles, photos and submissions greatly reflect this difference.

Now, I am not saying the TT has lesser quality of writing. I greatly appreciate all the writers that contribute to all of our trade magazines.

I subscribe to both and eagerly await their arrivals. I agree with AndyO. Everything stops when either mag shows up.

13. George

That's not "quite" true, Doug. ALL writers aren't paid. Some of us aren't good enough to get paid. LOL.

14. Come on G! Some of us get lucky too. I just wanted to point out one major difference between the 2.

15. Breakthrough

16. George

In reality, most of the people doing the writing in Taxidermy Today are hawking their products so I guess it's pretty good advertising as well as cost savings if they had to pay for that much space.

I see 6 people actually voted TT was better. Who ARE those people. LMAO

17. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I can't vote on this one. Both mags have their place in the shop. I have always felt that Taxidermy Today was geared more towards commercial taxidermy while Breakthrough was more for competition techniques. Money spent on both is money well spent!

18. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

I lLike both, But I feel they both have to many advertisements which are sometimes place in the mags more than twice. I know that the suppliers pay for them to be in there, But we also pay to recieve the mags as well. I think that both magazines need to find new stuff as well. It sems that they have run out Ideas at times. How many times can we learn how to skin a duck anyhow. If all the Beginners would subscribe ot either one of these mags, they would learn tons and really help the way work is done, that is no doubt.
    I am just starting to loose interest in the mags after having them both for such a long time. I think I have a stack of both of them that is over five feet tall. I just do not see much in them that gets me that excited. Not like when I first got them.

19. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

George I was actually one of those who voted TT. My reason for doing so was that most taxidermist who ask are usually beginners and TT is geared more toward the basics and traditional areas of commercial taxidermy. I like Breakthrough, don't get me wrong, but when was the last time you had a call for mounting a bat? Both mags have helped me a ton over the past few years and I have quite a collection of back issues of both, but for the commercial taxidermist who doesn't get African work and such, I believe TT is better. I admit that I am prejudice but I will also admit that I subscribe and read cover to cover both of them.

20. John L

John L Active Member

Sorry Uncle George but it's TT for me too. I have taken both and enjoyed both but for the work I do TT is more to my liking however, that said I am about to resubscribe to breakthrough they both have their place. As for the cover I would be excited to see my work on either. But, yes breakthrough is more prestigious.

John L