1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First try!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by LoneDrake, Mar 16, 2009.

1. LoneDrake

LoneDrake New Member

this is the first thing i have ever mounted.... let me know how it is so i can get better.. thanks

2. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

Very nice for your first try. However, the eye looks a bit out of place, and the neck looks a bit unnatural. I'm not an expert on birds though!

3. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Did you wash the bird before mounting? Feathers look dirty and needs some grooming. Good job getting one done.

4. LoneDrake

LoneDrake New Member

yeah i washed it two times in dawn dish soap and rinsed in cool water, probably should have washed it more... i kinda got in a hurry after a couple of hours lol

5. LoneDrake

LoneDrake New Member

and it seemed like i had to be really careful with the bird i kept tearing holes in the skin... did i flesh to much? or is the skin on a wood duck just that thin?

6. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

The skin on a wood duck is just that thin! :mad: :mad:

7. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

Yeah... It seems like it is really hard to do [skinning, cleaning, etc]! How many hours did you put into it?

8. LoneDrake

LoneDrake New Member

it took me about 3 and a half hours

9. dbmickle

dbmickle New Member

Preen! Preen! and a little more Preen!

10. Brando24

Brando24 Member

you should really make sure to get it cleaner next time.

11. jrclmn18

jrclmn18 New Member

The best on here claim to take 7-10 hours to complete one bird at the least. Take your time or else the three hours you spend will not be worth 10 minutes. Good job on your first, now you know why many taxidermist dont do birds. Good luck. This site can make you much better much faster than almost anything else out there. I recommend shooting to finish in about 8 hours at least. This way you know how long you will be in for.

12. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Hey lonedrake, jrclmn18 is 100% correct. Check out my pintail, I spent about 9 hrs. on him. Don't rush it, take your time and clean, clean, clean.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

If it's still semi-wet you should use tape, or pins and cardboard on the wings. The same should be done to the tail feathers.
    Look at how the cardboard is used in this thread.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,70462.0.html
    BTW, congrats on your first. ;)

14. LoneDrake

LoneDrake New Member

yeah next time i will take my time... i knew it should have took longer, and i could tell when i got done ;)