1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

raccoon still feels greassy!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by silvan, Mar 17, 2009.

1. silvan

silvan New Member

I used super solvent degreaser then tanned my raccoon, just finished the final fleshing. My hands looked and felt greasy. should I degrease the skin again? There was some fat I scrapped off the tail after it was tanned.

2. If it's still greasy then yes degrease again. Otherwise the hair won't be too fluffy when you mount it.

3. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I always degrease raccoons before the tan and after the tan then give them a good wash with Dawn dish washing soap..................

4. Dean

Dean New Member

If you scraped fat off the tail, I'm thinking there may be fat on other areas as well. Tanning normally won't penetrate fat so Try to flesh it again and degrease it again. Then I'd run it through you tan another time to make sure the tan has penetrated all the way though the hide.

5. silvan

silvan New Member

I found a little bit of fat in the tail and in the toes, it wasn't much so I feel confident that the Tann took. But to be on the safe side I will re-degrease and wash. The skin is for a coon skin hat with the head slightly puffed out on the front rim. If anyone has some pointers for me to make this it would be apprecheated.

6. hillbillyhounds5

hillbillyhounds5 New Member

Ive wanted to thy making a coonskin hat for a while now but never tried.How hard is it to make

7. silvan

silvan New Member

This is my first so I can't really say. It sounds easy enough, but i bet it wont be! I will post pics in a couple of days.

8. Dean

Dean New Member

Hats aren't hard to make once you get a system down. My son started a small business when he was 13 through 18. He trapped, skinned, tanned and would sew hats and mittons and sold them on line.