1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WING"TIPS" # 33 Double wing wire

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by wingman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. wingman

wingman Active Member

Hello! Well I was not planning on this being a wingtip BUT it worked so well for me that I thought some of you might be able to use this technique, I was putting a pair of specklebellys together this past weekend and did not realize I was out of the gauge of wire which I normally would wire the wings with, I ended up improvising with some lighter gauge wire and it worked very well, It also made the manipulation of the wires while assembling and positioning relatively easy as compared to one heavy wire, Heres the technique plain and simple Wire your wing as you normally would but Instead of wiring with ONE heavy gauge wire install two lighter wires as seen in the following photos, once taped into position insert them into the appropriate anchor point on the mannequin, run them through the form and embed one wire each direction into the form to lock the wing into place From there simply finish the bird in the normal manner. I have not used this method a lot yet but the initial tryout it worked wonderfully. You also have the option to try different sizes of wire to get the desired soundness to the wing. The following pics explain it as it is really rather simple. GOOD LUCK!!

2. wingman

wingman Active Member

Next three pics

3. wingman

wingman Active Member

And the last pic showing all the wires bent into the mannequin and ready for the next step!

4. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I use a modified technique like that on very large geese and swans. If I wire the whole wing with 12ga, it is not stable and I can't get a good wing shape if I use 8ga or heavier. So, I wire the wing with 12 GA first, and then I come back and wire only the ulna and humerus with the heavy wire. This makes for an extremely solid mount and allows me to get the wing shape I want without tearing the wing up while trying to bend heavy wires.

5. Great ideas, thanks for sharing.

6. jbogacki76

jbogacki76 New Member

How do you do you fill the wings and legs? Do you wrap them with filling or do you chaulk the wings and legs?

7. wingman

wingman Active Member

JB there are many options wrapping them with cotton or excelsior, clay, I wouldn't reccomend filling a wing with caulk to rebuild muscle, I usually go with the cotton batting as the ''filler'' caulck can be used as a paste but I would shy away from it being a filler.

8. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Thanks and great timing wingman!

...i specifically signed in today to see if you had added anything new. 8)

9. Schmitty

Schmitty New Member

MN
    Good to see the Wing Tips back. Thanks Eugene