1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Forest Gump ... errr ... Forest Floor Tutorial!

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by LordRusty, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Good ideas, I will have to try some of them, thanks.

2. Critter

Critter New Member

Thats very nice,,, Im learning alot from this!! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

3. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Hey I've got a 3lb coffee can full of coffee grounds...wonder how long that'll last me!!! LOL

4. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

great work

5. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

great tutorial. thanks for the posting and all the time you put into it. like i stated in another post, my base work sucks. thanks again.

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Wow. You are definitely an artist. One of the reasons I got into taxidermy was for the art. I got bored of doing portraits and wedding cakes were getting too much work, pressure wise. I can't wait to try out some of this. Thanks for sharing.

7. Ray Vosseller

Ray Vosseller New Member

here is a base that i a still working on I followed the steps you posted thanks you for posting
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

coffee.....it's not just for breakfast anymore!!!!!

9. Man that is amazing. These tutorials are what push new taxis to strive to be better. You are a great influence. LOVE the dropings or POOP.

10. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Raymond V,

Nice work on the base! Don't forget to enhance the ground with forest litter. Use a diluted white glue/water mix, either 50/50 or 75% water/25% white glue (Elmer's) and spray the base where you want leaves and the like to lay. Sprinkle on the dry "ingredients", spray over them with the dilute glue mix, and let set. It gives the base an even more realistic dimension! Keep up the great work!

John.

11. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

How are you attaching the horns to the base or are they just lying there freely?

12. aElkins

aElkins New Member

:O Excellent tutorial!

I'll be sure to refer back to this once I can start using habitats!

Good work on the mounts as well.

13. LordRusty

Ohio
    I don't know how anyone else does it, but for a shed antler ... after determining where I want the antler to lay, I drill through the base, set the antler over the hole in an natural "just laying there" position, then drill up into the antler where it makes contact with the "ground". I add a good five minute epoxy glue into the antler hole before screwing it in place.

I attach any antlers after the groundwork is complete, so that is appears to be laying on the ground naturally. Of course it can then be "weathered" with dilute black and brown paint washes to age it if need be, and/or it can have some leaves dropped onto it, and they can be secured with white glue.

John

14. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Thanks Jon.

15. Was just doing some research and thought I'd bring this great post back up to the top. EXCELLENT info...thanks so much John!

16. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

thats why my little shop is so messy looking I love to get out of the shop and go on collecting treks and there is a bunch lying around driftwood stacked up shoot you could sweep the floor and get forest floor litter thanks John ,I burned out years ago DEER customers and moving and divorce all took its toll but now doing what I know and liked better all along BIRDS

17. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

John you are so old school...you need to write a old school taxidermy book

18. chital100

chital100 New Member

It just amazes me sometimes the great information available in this forum

Thanks leslie for bringing it to the top and especially to John for putting it up in the first place - just awesome

19. LordRusty

Ohio
    I did! ;) The Breakthrough - Art of the Big Cat - Manual has a habitat construction chapter in it, wherein I discuss choice of grasses, dirt, trees, and such. Though it is geared for African habitat, the instructions can also apply to any habitat collection and set up.

Also, The Breakthrough Habitat and Exhibit Manual is chock full of useful information.

As far as habitat goes - even Taxidermy in general - "old school" is sometimes the best school. Hey ... it works for me. ;) ;D

You're very welcome! ;)

John.

20. great post thanks