1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Clay Flour

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Ozwalt, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Anyone using the dry "clay flour" from van dyke's for shoulder mount work? Would like to hear reveiws & opinions.

2. I use it but I don't get it from Van
    I use it in my hide paste for more detail in my forms

3. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

That's a good idea. Will have to mull that one over for the future...

Is anyone rehydrating the clay flour & using for sculpting eyes, ear butts, etc.? That's kinda how Van Dykes is pitching it. They're saying it's the same as potter's clay, but in powdered form. Anyone?

4. Dean

Dean New Member

The powdered potters clay is regular potters clay in the dry form. It's marketed that way because it's cheaper to ship dry because of weight and volume compared to shipping mixed clays weight. I have a clay company 30 miles away( Continental Clay) so I just stop down there and stock up on the end run. I get the critter clay (Air fired clay) from the same company for doing the eye work. End run is just mixed colors of clay when they are changing the color of clay in the pug.It's cheap and great for taxidermy work. I buy the clay in the powdered form only for fillers in hide paste and epoxies to thicken them up or to add color.

5. Ren

Ren New Member

I use it exclusively for eye sculpting earbutts seam grooves never used anything else.

6. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Thanks Ren. Does it make a stiff clay that's easy to work with? How is it re: shrinkage?

7. Dean

Dean New Member

Ozwalt, What answers are you looking for? Reviews? opinions? It's not a new product. It's the came potters clay that's been around for centuries. Where ever you decide to buy the clay from or what ever name it's given, it's still the same. What other information are you looking for? It's just potters clay!! . It shrinks just like potters clay. It's as stiff as potters clay if mixed right. It's easy to work like potters clay. It does the same thing as the pre mixed potters clay because it IS potters clay. You add water to the powder, mix it let it set, and you end up with potters clay. The wetter it is the more it shrinks. It's used on ear butts and other purposes listed above. Potters clay can work for setting eyes. Is that the answer you were looking for? It works if you like to deal with shrinkage. Crritter Clay is a much better product for eye setting because it shrinks very little. Do you want to get the powderd clay because it's so cheap? Have fun, it's more hassle mixing it than it's worth. I say that from experience from high school pottery class 30 years ago.

8. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Exactly I use it in my sculpture class every week it comes in by the pallette and you have to oversize it if you want to stay ahead of the shrinkage. Been Sculpting my head for a couple weeks and have it off the Armature scooped out and seamed back together waitting for it to harden up so I can finish it and let dry so we can run it through the kiln next month. I added an inch to everything originally and it is already smaller then actual and it is still wet. I hope it turns out without popping. There is one that the lips and chin blew off last semester. It is a lot of work to have a miosture pocket wreck it.

JMO

Jeff

9. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Dean. You sound a little outraged by my questioning (???), or at least a bit judgmental of my ignorance.

Actually, Dean & Sarge, you've both given me EXACTLY what I was looking for. Concrete opinion on whether it's worth it or not. I can read a catalog on my own. I know what the salespeople say it is, and I know what they say it will do. I wanted to hear from someone who's actually tried it re: whether those claims are accurate or not. You're telling me it's not. I live out in the sticks, and I get frustrated ordering potter's clay for $19 + an extra $25 to ship it. Just looking for a viable alternative, and this is apparently not it. Sarge, your comment about oversizing it by an inch and it's still shrinking too much -- I guess that says it all.

10. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

It is Potters clay it is all in the amount of Shinkage If you have the time to do it in layers so that the shinkage can be compoensated for it is fine but it is all in the drying time and how much you wanna use.

11. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Thanks Sarge. Sounds like I'd be spending more time to spend less money, but time is more precious.

12. Dean

Dean New Member

Ozwalt, No outrage here, Just confused to what responce or answers you were looking for at the time? The question and statement was vague. Sorry, I assumed everyone knew where potters clay came from and the different forms it comes in. That's why I questioned what you were asking. If I didn't have a supplier near by I arrange to pick it up from a supply company or look up where the closest clay supplier is and drive down and stock up. There has to be a supplier in almost every city. Pottery making is a popular hobby or job in a lot of areas. That's how I found my supplier.

13. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Fair enough. Thanks Dean.