1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

degrease Q

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by silvan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. silvan

silvan New Member

After I degreased a skin and tanned, it still felt greasy so I gave it a final fleshing and soaked it in degreaser a second time. The skin has now turned brown in the real thin parts and the base of the under coat of the hair is orange'ish color. Is that from being in the solvent to long? I thought I had rinsed it well enough!

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sure sounds like "flash burning" to me. What are you degreasing? If it's a snowgoose, you've smoked it.

3. silvan

silvan New Member

super solvent. If that is the case will it survive? it is a raccoon

4. I use tanner degreaser on them just put it in the pickle. they come out good for me that way mark c

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The hair may be permanently yellowed. Not familiar with Super Solvent.

6. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I use super solvent(Bruce Rittle's)and I have never had that problem.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

A water base degreaser will not change the hide color. Rittles Super Solve Should be used after pickle and shaving, degrease for 1 hour, then tan. You might have had excess tanning liquid on the hide which would have rinsed off with water before mounting. Are the dark spots on the skin right after you degreased a second time or after you mounted it?

8. silvan

silvan New Member

I degreased for an hour before I tanned it, then rinsed and washed with tide. I had to freeze it for a week and then gave it a final fleshing and thinned it. The skin had a little fat around the base of the tail that I had missed during the first fleshing, it left my hands feeling and looking greasy. I returned it to the degreaser for an hour and 1/2 then rinsed and washed with shampoo. The dark spots seem to turn whiter when it is stretched real hard.

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That is the color the skin will be as its drying, Streching or breaking the hide will make it a uniform color, nothing to worry about.