1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dextrine/clay hide paste

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by elk74, Mar 19, 2009.

1. the taxidermist that i learned from used to use yellow dextrine mixed with powdered clay and water for a hide paste . anyone else use that? if so what ratio do you use . if not please explain why

2. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

I use yellow dextrin for most of my hide paste. I'll take a few cups of powder and mix it with hot water, give it a splash of Lysol to. I have also added some other types of glue to dextrin to experiment. I see no need to add clay. It is mostly a filler. Just mix the dextrin to a thick consistency.
    One easy inexpensive type of adhesive I am trying out is water based carpet adhesive. That also has clay in it. The carpet adhesive costs about $10.00 per gallon and is already mixed. It works pretty well, but is tough to clean off the hair. Some guys use wallpaper paste. Check out the tutorials.

3. hello and thanx badgerland,i read on here where others also have experimented with carpet and wallpaper paste.ive used the dextrine clay water paste in the past but i wandered if anyone else has tried and if it would hold as well as other hide pastes .the guy that showed me that, also used a ton of pins and tucked the eyes .i wanted to get away from using so many pins and i would like to try the lay method for eyes, was wondering if a better paste would be needed to hold especially around the eyes.

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I for one like using dextrine based hide paste, but I do use the clay filler as it helps in adding detail to skin wrinkles and such. Especially on large animals and african. On smaller lifesize and game heads I use Mckenzie paste and I'm starting to play with the carpet glue myself. Everyone that I've talked to that has used it says it works fine. As was pointed out to me last weekend; Buckeye did not invent a new formula for hide paste. They took something that was already in existance and put their label on it. What was that BEFORE it was hide paste???? Carpet Glue!!!

5. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I use dextrine and hifiber mixed 50/50.After that is mixed,I add 15 % Elmer's glue.The elmer's makes all the difference in the would.Straight dextrine or dextrine and clay is fairly brittle.

6. thank u guys for your input much apreciated