1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Happened???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bosque, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Bosque

Bosque New Member

I was getting ready to do my first taxidermy project and thought that a fox would be a good start. Through the "for sale' section, I bought a great winter red fox. As soon as I received it, I finished skinning the head, split the lips, and pulled out the tail. The hide was dorsal cut and I tube skinned the legs. I went to a local tannery the same day that I received the skin so that I would not worry about any hair slip. The tannery said that they would take the feet out of the hide for a few more dollars which I agreed. When I received the hide, the tail was split from the base to the tip, the legs were cut from the top to the bottom and there was a patch of hair slip about 4 inches square at the base of the tail. He knew that I was going to mount this. What happened? Do I dispatch the skin and just take this as a learning experience?

Bosque ???

2. my friend you picked a tough one didnt you .. first let me say that if you dont skin all the way your self. your backing up. fox are very bad in the slipping department . you need to split the tail anyway . the reasons i do is that every fox that i have purchased have the same problems. heat , rot and to long in shipping...... they are out of the frezzer to long and will fall apart. i learn the lesson i guess skin it splt it and get that thing on fresh salt as soon as you can . i always splt the tail. ive never lost one tail that way , use safty acid and mc kennize tan works great and you can control the out come. the fox is one of the tuffest things i have done. others will post differant find what will work for you . mark c

3. Dean

Dean New Member

I recommend that you work on learning to properly skin and prep the animals yourself. It's part of the taxidermy business. If it's your first project, may I ask how many hours of skinning did it take for you to skin the fox as far has you did? I'm guessing 4-5 hours or more? That's enough time for a thin skinned animal to go bad. Especially after being thawed out at least a couple times. You need to split the legs at least part way up in order to get the foot out. You probably fought it for a long time got frustrated and gave up and decided to let the tannery do it. It's very hard to skin and mount the legs of most mammals with out splitting the leg. You have to be able to turn the leg skin from inside out or out side in to mount it correctly. The tannery made it easy for them selves but also did you a favor because you would be just as frustrated later as you probably were during skinning when you would try to turn the legs back, which is almost impossible. They probably didn't need to split the legs all the way as you say they did. Splitting the tail is a must. How do the ears look. Did you turn them? They are known to slip pretty easy too. Don't blame the tannery. Blame it on your inexperience. Read up on skinning and learn how to prep the skin properly. Then give it another try on an easier more stable animal. Good Luck

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

If you must buy a fox, get one that is salt dried from someone who knows what they are doing like Bob Wendt.

5. woodies

woodies Member

Two simple words STOP ROT.Or just buy one that is already tanned.

6. Try a coyote next time... They are WAY less likely to slip than a fox.

As for splitting the tail and legs... If you legs were tubed(no incision) all the way to the feet I would split them open to about 6" up. Because a tubed leg like that is nearly impossible to shave and inhibits tan penetration, washing and cleaning of the fur and finishing with the drums becomes quite difficult. The tail must be split... Otherwise it won't tan and the whole thing will slip... Some people can get away with running a cotton string thru it to "wick" up the chemicals but its way too risky in my opinion. So next time make sure you do these things and give your tannery a salted hide and you will be much happier with your tanners work.

7. the leson well learned i guess.. the truth be known even a seasoned pro will loose a fox now and again.. if you try another thhe trick is speed. first splt the tail all the way then cut all 4 cocks from the pad up to the first joint . splt it down the back dorsel cut then pull the legs out youll find the feet come easy put some salt on the tail now cut the feet off at the jont cut between the toes to free up each toe seperatly now with a pair of plyers pull the toe and cut as you go . the feet will turn quickly. go to the head and work your majic salt every thing good now split the ears and eyes lipps salt it 36 hours at least . pickle and tan mount it .. stay with it I do this to guys that come to my shop wanting to try there hand at taxidermy.. for me its fun to watch. for them well its an experance. but if they pay attention and do as i tell them they come out a winner. good luck mark c

8. Bosque

Bosque New Member

Thank you all for the advise.

9. not trying to steal his tread but i just took a fox out of the freezer its my first one Im planning on skinnin tomarrow and use krow tan ,Wuold it be a good idea to salt it for a couple of days then krow tan ? or just get r done and krow tan it?

10. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    No Salting needed if you're using krowtann. There's plenty of salt in the solution :)

11. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    any of you use denatured alcohal?