1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize mink mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by 458okie, Jan 12, 2007.

1. 458okie

458okie Jeff "458okie" W.

Has anyone mouted a lifesize mink and any recommendations?

What manikin do you prefer?

I have a mink to mount in a few weeks an acquaintence trapped and has in his freezer. Never have done a mink before, so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! ;D

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I was given a mink two years ago and mounted it up on one of Brian Harness's Divide & Conquer forms. It came out nice. The legs pop off so you just mount them induvidually and then slip the body into the skin, popping the legs back into place and even using bondo to reinforce them so they stay put. This was the walking up a hill pose. I have another mink to do this year and I'll probably use the same form again.

[​IMG]

3. Leave the toe bones in.Makes getting a nice looking foot alot easier.Use Apoxy Sculpt or Game instead of bondo for the ears.

4. 458okie

Thanks, Nina! Just a question on the tanning, did you degrease during the pickle step or was that even necessary?

Doing the legs individually is my prefered way of mounting squirrels, etc., that way if one wanted to they could actually "case skin" the critter and the only seam would be from inside of rear leg to inside of other rear leg rather than a dorsal cut, etc.

What tanning method did you do?

Thanks!

-Jeff

5. RStanton

RStanton New Member

I've used that same form and was very pleased with it as well. The foam is quite hard and difficult to alter. The head details were great. I skinned it down to the toenails and filled the toes with semi-frozen clay. I tanned mine using a safe-tee acid pickle and EZ-100... don't recall any grease on the skin, but some acid bate in the pickle wouldn't hurt.

6. 458okie

Thanks everybody! I believe I'll go with that mannikin.

Take care,

Jeff